Valentine’s Day can still be enjoyable, stress-free for singles on campus

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, being single can be frustrating, but on the other hand, not being tied down in a relationship while dealing with all the pressures of college life can have its advantages.”In college you get a diversity of thought and an understanding of others that you wouldn’t have gotten before. Enjoy it,” Joseph Arnoult, adjunct professor of psychology, said.

“It’s great. You can just relax and be comfortable and speak to anyone you want to,” Tiffany Samuels, freshman from New Orleans, said.

“You have more time to yourself, to figure out who you are,” Ricky La Bouve, mass communication senior from Morgan City, said.

“You can concentrate more on your classes,” Katie Charpentier, biology junior from Raceland, said.

“You can meet different kinds of people,” Megan Foran, freshman from Raceland, said.

Being single for Valentine’s Day can also be fun.

“Every Valentine’s Day for me and my friends is a girls’ night out,” Ashley LeBlanc, nursing junior from Belle Rose, said.

Students say it’s true, however, that being single in college can have a down side.

“You have to have your priorities set in a relationship, and priorities can change daily in college. You may prioritize wrongly and everything becomes shaky-relationships, studies and home,” Arnoult said.

“It’s one thing to have friends you can talk to, but it’s different to have one person you can talk to and trust,” Lynelle Poole, biology sophomore from Harvey, said.

The Nicholls campus offers lots of opportunities for students to meet new and interesting people.

“One of the best ways to meet new people is through the classes that you’re taking,” Arnoult said.

“At one point or another, everyone walks through the union,” Charles Phillips III, business junior from Gray, said.

Singles and couples alike enjoy hanging out off campus at local clubs like The Library, Rox’s and Last Call.

“When you’re at a club you’re already having fun. The music is going, and you can dance with whoever you want to,” Samuels said.

The Internet is also a dating hot spot for singles.

“It’s easier to meet girls online because you don’t have to walk up to them and ask if they have a boyfriend,” Kerry Tamplet, freshman from Thibodaux, said.

All in all, college can be a great time to be single and explore new options, students say.