Casting, production company to hold on-campus auditions

The South Louisiana Casting and Production Company will be auditioning student vocalists and musicians for a spring production, “Rock N’ Soul Review: A Musical Retrospect,” on March 1 and 2 at 7 p.m. in Talbot Theatre. “We’re going to do this audition just like American Idol. They will be singing a cappella, but a piano will be available for those who want to play while they sing,” Bernadette Dugas, instructor of mass communication, said.

Dugas and Lorna Farrar, co-director of the production, own and operate South Louisiana Casting and Production Company.

The directors will be casting eight to 10 vocalists during the auditions.

Musical director Lionel Ruffin will be casting musicians to play lead guitar, bass guitar, keyboard, horns and drums to form a band for the production.

Students are not required to have any previous performance experiences. Resumes and photographs are encouraged but not mandatory.

“Most of all, we’re looking for someone who can get onstage and sell a song; someone who can sound and act like the artist,” Dugas said.

Because the production is a review of ’50s and ’60s songs, students are required to choose one audition song from a pre-determined list of music by Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Patsy Cline, Percy Sledge and Jerry Lee Lewis.

A complete list of required audition music is available from South Louisiana Casting and Production Company upon request by calling 876-8777 or 868-5481.

Students may also include a second song of their choice of any genre in their audition.

Students may attend auditions on either night; they are not required to attend both nights of try-outs.

The dinner production will open at the Ramada Inn in Houma on June 9, and performances will run through June 26. Catering will be provided by Spahr’s Seafood Restaurant.