Upward Bound facing elimination possibility

Nicholls’ Upward Bound, a college preparation program for low income and first generation students, is trying to garner support to prevent its elimination.President Bush’s proposed 2006 federal budget would eliminate Upward Bound, as well as funding for 48 other national programs, such as Talent Search and Gear Up.

According to Beatrice Wallace, director of Upward Bound at Nicholls, the proposed eliminations are in an effort to fund No Child Left Behind initiatives.

The Upward Bound program at Nicholls is federally funded. Each year, the local program serves 60 high school students between 13 and 19 years old and recruits students from Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. On average, the program costs $5,000 per student per year, which includes a six-week summer residency at Nicholls.

Participants are made up of low income and potential first generation college students. They are selected by recommendations from school, community and social services officials.

“This program gives them the opportunity to go to college,” Wallace said. “They must be prepared academically, emotionally and socially to assure their success.”

She said research shows that students from this population who decide to go to college without preparation have a good chance of failing or dropping out of college.

“I don’t think anyone has considered the ripple effect this program has,” she said. “Once someone in their family goes to college, it begins a cycle of progress. They want their children and grandchildren to go to college also.”

According to Wallace, all of the 2004 graduates of the local program finished high school, and 57 percent of the graduates enrolled in colleges. From 1999 to 2004, 51 percent of the Thibodaux program’s graduates enrolled in college; 3 percent earned degrees. Wallace said these statistics help prove the necessity of the program, especially when one considers that of the adult population in Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes only 10 percent have a bachelor’s degree.

“We’re trying to increase the number of community members with bachelor’s degrees,” Wallace said. “This helps the economy and all leads to good things.”

Nationally, the program serves more than 100,000 students.

The 2006 budget will begin in October 2005. Upward Bound provides students with academic and personal counseling, tutoring services and assistance in completing college admission exam, as well as admission and financial aid applications among other services.

Tremaine Joseph, business administration junior from Thibodaux and Upward Bound alumnus, said he is definitely opposed to the elimination of the Upward Bound program.

“The program gave me knowledge in many areas,” Joseph said. “They also give us good experience of being on a college campus.”

Wallace said many of the Upward Bound students who attend college choose Nicholls since they spend six weeks during the summer on campus. Trunetta Spruel, nursing sophomore from Houma and Upward Bound alumnus, said the program helped her weigh her college options.

“It set up an opportunity for me to see other universities and pick the one I wanted to attend,” she said. The Upward Bound program at Nicholls requests students, faculty, staff and community members write to or call their congressmen in support of the program.