Nicholls addresses smoking complaints

The Student Government Association Senate, along with the Nicholls Committee of Social Concerns, is taking steps to provide a healthier environment for students and faculty. The Senate is conducting what they call the “biggest complaint survey.” This survey asks students what they believe is the biggest problem at Nicholls. According to Ron Sapia, SGA senator-at-large who has seen the survey, it is smoking.

“People are complaining that they have to pass through smoke to get into buildings,” Sapia said. “Some of the worst complaints are about Gouaux Hall.”

Sapia said that the next step is for the SGA to pass a resolution to ban smoking in front of doorways. “The resolution would call for something like banning smoking 15 feet in front of buildings,” Sapia said.

The current policy states there is no smoking allowed inside of any building on campus. It does not mention entrances.

The Nicholls Committee of Social Concerns is doing its part by sending a grant request to The Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco Free Living. If the request is accepted, the University will receive $10,000 in grants to be used to raise awareness about smoking. The program will be called NSU Smoke Free U.

“What the Campaign for Tobacco Free Living wants to address with this grant is not only the effect of smoking, but second hand smoke as well,” Melissa Dyson, director of health education and committee member, said. “We would like to provide a healthier work, study and living environment.”

The Committee of Social Concerns will also be conducting a survey before the fall semester to learn about the use of tobacco on campus. This survey will then be used to determine how the grant money will be spent specifically.

“The grants are awarded on a competitive basis,” Dyson said. “They will read your grant to see what you plan on doing with the money to decide who will be awarded grants. I think we have a good chance.”

A 12 percent raise in state excise tax provides funding for the grant. Two percent of that raise goes directly to funding the multiple grants that the Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco Free Living will be handing out in May.

If received, the grant will be renewable annually, as long funding is available. If not received, Nicholls will be able to apply for the grant again next year.

“Our goal for the grant is to educate the campus,” Dyson said. “We want to use the money for signage so people can have a clear indication of where the smoking areas are. We are also planning on using the grant to educate and increase role models through peer assistance.”

According to Dyson, about 70 percent of the population are nonsmokers.

“It is very unhealthy to leave or enter a building,” Anke Tonn, committee chairperson and associate professor, said. “We need to find another place for the smokers, because the sidewalks are not good.”

Students have mixed feelings about the program.

“I am getting tired of walking out of a building and smelling smoke,” Cade Voisin, mass communication junior from Houma, said. “I do not mind people who smoke, but I do not want to smell it every time I walk outside.”

“This is an abomination,” Aimee Griffin, freshman from California, said. “Smokers should have the same rights as everyone else.