Victory at Last

Lady Colonels edge Sam Houston Bearkats in first victory of season
Senior forward Dominique Washington prepares to pass the ball in Wednesdays game against Sam Houston State. The Lady Colonels won 76-74.
Senior forward Dominique Washington prepares to pass the ball in Wednesday’s game against Sam Houston State. The Lady Colonels won 76-74.

The Lady Colonels pulled off a near impossible feat, coming back from a 12-point deficit to win against the Sam Houston Bearkats 76-74 on Feb 11.”I can’t tell you how happy I am for my team,” head coach DoBee Plaisance said. “These young ladies show up and work hard every game, and never give up. We were down double digits with four left, and they never quit.”

Sam Houston’s largest lead was by 12 with 5:36 left in the first half. The Lady Colonels closed the gap down to five going into the half with a score 39-34. Eighteen of Sam Houston’s 34 points came from their bench.

The Lady Colonels came out of the locker room with a whole new energy.

With 2:42 left in the game, the Lady Colonels came four points away from tying the game. Bryant was fouled and went to the line to put the Lady Colonels two points behind.

A foul by freshman Nadia Cox put the Lady Colonels down by three with a free throw shot from Sam Houston’s Bre Agnew. Cox then brought the ball down and made a jump shot to put the Lady Colonels down by one.

With 1:15 left in the game, Jones fouled out of the game putting Sam Houston’s Brittany Brooks on the line. With both foul shots sinking, the Lady Colonels found themselves down by three once again.

Senior Dominique Washington was fouled with 54.9 left in the game and put the Lady Colonels down by one. A steal by freshman Portia Washington as well as a jump shot put the Colonels up by one with 24 seconds left.

With 13 seconds, Bryant turned over the ball putting Sam Houston’s Britni Martin on the line. Making only one free throw, the Lady Colonels found themselves in a tie game, possession of the ball, and 13 seconds left.

Cox pushed the ball down the court and fearlessly went up for a lay-up and made it, putting the Lady Colonels up by two. Cox then fouled putting Leasa Ailshie on the line, making only one.

Bryant was then fouled and made one to put the Lady Colonels up by two again.

“Having Portia come in and play the way she did when Tiffany fouled out was huge. Her shot really set the tone for the rest of the way, and I knew when Nadia got the ball past the initial pressure that she was going to score or get fouled,” Plaisance said. “Those two made big plays for us when we needed them.”

Sam Houston was not able to come back and the Lady Colonels put a one in their record for wins.

Senior Dominique Washington opened up scoring for the Lady Colonels with a little over 2 minutes left in the game.

Senior Tiffany Jones found herself in foul trouble with 22 seconds left in the first half.

Two Lady Colonels found themselves in double digits at the half. Jones ended the half with 11 and senior Christie Bryant with 10.

The Lady Colonels hoped to continue their winning success on Friday against Southeastern. However, this time the team could not come back from their 14-point deficit at the half, losing 84-46.

Freshman Danielle Douglas posted her first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds for the Lady Colonels. Bryant and Washington were able to score 10 points each.

A big factor in the Lady Colonels’ loss was the inability to connect their shot from the three-point range shooting eight and making none.

The Lady Colonels shot 33.3 percent (18-54) compared to Southeastern’s 51.7 percent.

The Lady Colonels hope to add another win to their record on Saturday against the Texas State Bobcats with tip-off set for 2 p.m. inside Stopher Gym.