Students against prosecuting war crimes win 121-78

Jordan Piper, freshman from Ponchatoula, defends the con side during the audience participation portion of the speech forum Tuesday.
Photo by: Kyrie Judeh

Students against investigating the former U.S. administration for war crimes won 121 to 78 in the speech forum held Tuesday night inside the Student Union ballroom.While the topic of the third speech forum of the academic year was “Resolved, that the U.S. government should investigate the previous administration for war crimes leading to possible prosecution,” the debate focused heavily upon whether or not the U.S. government’s torturing of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is acceptable.

Skye Bryant, legal studies sophomore, was the pro-speaker for the forum. She began her argument by describing a scene of American soldiers breaking into the homes of innocent people and abducting their families. “To protect the innocent, we have become terrorists ourselves,” Bryant said.

Bryant gave a three-point argument supporting the investigation of the previous administration, but the torturing of detainees by the U.S. military became the focal point of both sides of the debate. “Detainees are stripped naked and have unmuzzled dogs released upon them until they talk,” Bryant said.

She also described water boarding, a technique simulating drowning in order to receive information, and the arrest of an 11-year-old boy who Bryant claims was only detained for being around when his father was arrested. “Couldn’t you say we created a terrorist?” Bryant asked the audience.

Christian Bordelon, criminal justice sophomore from Montz, debated on behalf of the con side. “Rules of fair play do not apply to love and war,” Bordelon quoted from English poet, John Lyly, in summarization of her argument. “Our troops have no rights over there; should we show them the same rights?” Bordelon said that torture is one of the military’s only means to get information from detainees. “The other side does not follow the rules of war themselves, so why should we?”

After the key speakers argued their points, the audience was allowed to join in the discussion. Peter Jenkins, culinary arts sophomore from Thibodaux, said there was public outcry in America during the Vietnam War when news of American soldiers being tortured was reported. Jenkins asked why the public opinion of torture has been reversed.

Jordy Gaspard, psychology sophomore from Cut Off, said that people in the Middle East are not compassionate to us because we are not compassionate to them. “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind,” Gaspard quoted.

“We can’t fight these people,” said Hope Sanchez, freshman from Pierre Part. Sanchez related America’s fight against terrorism to wielding a stick against someone with a gun. “Can you expect them to feel a slap on the wrist? It’s just the way they’re raised.”

Evan Prentiss, freshman from New Iberia, believed otherwise despite sitting on the same side as Sanchez. “If I was raised to think that murder is okay and then went out and committed a murder; that doesn’t make it any less wrong,” Prentiss said.

Both sides debated back and forth before electing summary speakers to end the forum. Irvin Williams, general studies senior from St. James, argued for the pro side of the debate.

“Up to 90 percent of the people imprisoned in Guantanamo were arrested without any evidence,” Williams said. “Would you like to be them?” Williams asked why the government would make laws against torture if it breaks them.

“At what point does it stop?” Williams asked. “Maybe the administration shouldn’t be investigated this time, but what about the next time?”

David Lewis, biology senior from Houma, was chosen to speak on behalf of the con side. “If they’re not going to stop, why should we?” Lewis asked.

Lewis said the U.S. does not need to torture, but it should do any and everything in its power to prevent another attack. “There’s no reason to stand up for people that won’t stand up for us,” Lewis concluded.

The next speech forum will be held on March 9th at 7 p.m. in the Student Union ballroom. The topic will be “Resolved, that in light of the current budget crisis, Nicholls should consider going to a four day school week.”

Tryouts will be held Thursday, February 26th, from 2 to 4 p.m. in the mass communication office located in room 102 of Talbot Hall.