Atwell has seen many changes at the coaching position

Defensive coordinator and linebacker coach Jeremy Atwell talks with senior linebacker Ed James.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

Nicholls State defensive coordinator Jeremy Atwell is one of two members on the coaching staff returning from the 2009 season.This is Atwell’s third season as defensive coordinator and his fifth year with the Colonels football staff.

“The defense has been up and down,” Atwell said. “The past two ball games, we started playing a little bit better. We struggled the first four games, and then we came home and played a little bit better, but we still had tons of mistakes. We’re starting to get people healthy now, so hopefully we’re starting to hit our stride.”

This off-season was a busy one for Atwell as the Colonels hired head coach Charlie Stubbs.

Stubbs came to Nicholls in January, and Atwell had his hands filled with recruiting at the time.

“We still hadn’t had a chance to catch our breath,” Atwell said. “Coach Stubbs got the job during recruiting season, and we had three weeks before signing day. We were scrambling to try to bring in new players, while he was still trying to learn the players that were here. It was a tough learning experience, but it was a fun one.”

Atwell became a member of the Colonels coaching staff in 2001 as the defensive end coach.

Atwell then went to Thibodaux High to serve as their defensive coordinator and returned as defensive coordinator for the Colonels.

The Colonels changed their defensive philosophy right before the season as Atwell decided to go with a 3-4 defense.

“We base out of a 4-3 (defense), and I’ve always been a 3-4 guy,” Atwell said. “Unfortunately, an injury happened in camp, and it forced us to dive into our 3-4 package. It’s a good fit for us.”

Two weeks ago, the Colonels beat Texas State 47-45 after playing four overtimes.

The Colonels’ game-winning play came after sophomore quarterback LaQuintin Caston threw a two-yard touchdown pass to sophomore receiver Joshua Warren.

Caston then connected with sophomore wide receiver Chucky Nichols underneath coverage for the winning two-point conversion on the ensuing point-after try.

“In the four or five years that I’ve been here, that was probably the biggest win I’ve been a part of,” Atwell said. “There were so many opportunities for us to not win that football game.”

The Colonels have shown increasing improvement in each game they have played, a testament to the coaching staff.

“Right now we’re a first-class program,” Atwell said. “Coach Stubbs has been to some organizations where they’ve won championships, and he brings that attitude to the team, and it’s contagious.”

The Colonels travel to Lake Charles on Saturday as they continue Southland Conference play against McNeese State.

Defensive coordinator and linebacker coach Jeremy Atwell listens to his headset during Saturday’s game against Central Arkansas. (Bridget Mire)