Volleyball team raises money to fight breast cancer

Sophomore middle blocker Jessica Addicks reaches up for the ball during Saturdays game against Stephen F. Austin.
Photo by: Katie O’Hara
Sophomore middle blocker Jessica Addicks reaches up for the ball during Saturday’s game against Stephen F. Austin.

Many NFL players wore pink throughout October honoring National Breast Cancer month, and the Colonel volleyball team has been doing their part as well with the annual NCAA volleyball Dig for the Cure.During the entire month of October, fans could pledge any amount of money to donate for every dig the Colonels collected. A dig is defined as a way of preventing the ball from touching the court after a spike or attack.

Along with pledge money, Nicholls volleyball is also selling pink T-shirts. The money collected from the T-shirt sales will benefit the Bayou Region affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.

“Raising money for breast cancer means a lot to me, because I know that it affects women everywhere around the world,” sophomore middle blocker Jasmine Harris said. “The more money we raise, the more we benefit the research that can help cure breast cancer. I know that if I was affected by breast cancer or had a loved one affected, I would hope that people were doing all that they could to help find a cure.”

The Colonels boast one of the best statistical defenses in the country ranking 33 in the nation with a 16.76 dig per set average. Junior libero Danielle Daigle leads Nicholls with a 5.64 dig per set average that ranks her ninth in the nation.

Some members of the volleyball team have had someone they know diagnosed with breast cancer, and many of those who have been diagnosed have survived. Their efforts this month will help with the continued fight against breast cancer.

“It’s only right for me to give back because my mother fought and won the battle against breast cancer thanks to those who donated before us,” junior outside hitter Rachel Yezak said. “I want to help just like those people who helped me. It’s now my job to support this cause and help the community.”

“I have been fortunate enough to not have any family members that have been diagnosed with breast cancer, but I know plenty of my friends’ moms who have been,” sophomore setter Nancy Taylor said. “I know the pain and suffering that their families went through. I hope this money that we raise will prevent other families from having to face the suffering my friends have been through. Any donations will help find a cure for breast cancer.”

Entering their last two matches of the month this week, the Colonels have compiled 537 digs this month. Every one of these has helped with the continued fight against breast cancer.

“People with breast cancer are strong and have the biggest hearts of anyone I know,” junior setter Jordan Karst said. “For those with breast cancer, always remember you are not alone and to stay strong.