Women’s basketball defeated by SFA

The Lady Colonels lost in a close match-up against Stephen F. Austin on Feb. 4 with a score of 60-55 after leading 34-31 at the half.Despite their loss, the Lady Colonels had three players in double digit scoring. Before fouling out, senior Tiffany Jones scored 16 points, closely followed by senior Christie Bryant with 11 points, and freshman Nadia Cox with 10 points.

The Lady Colonels also excelled on defense with freshman Danielle Douglas posting 10 rebounds.

For the first time this season the Lady Colonels led going into half time. The team made 16-27 shots (59.3 percent) and 26 of the 34 points were made inside the paint.

Despite the Lady Colonels’ 17 turnovers, they held Stephen F. Austin to 31 points and out-rebounded the Ladyjacks 17-14.

Stephen F. Austin came back after halftime determined to win leading the Lady Colonels 6-0 in shooting opening the second half.

The teams stayed neck and neck until the 3:26 mark where Stephen F. Austin’s, Ebony Alexander, made a three-pointer to increase the lead 52-48. The Lady Colonels were not able to re-take the lead.

Overall, the Lady Colonels made 24-55 shots (43.6 percent) while Stephen F. Austin made 21-58 (36.2 percent). Stephen F. Austin led free-throw shooting making 16 points from the free-throw line while the Lady Colonels only made six.

On Feb. 7 the Lady Colonels traveled to Texas A&M Corpus Christi and suffered another upset resulting in an 84-57 loss.

Bryant lead the Lady colonels with 13 points and freshman Jasmine Hoskins close behind with 12. Texas A&M Corpus Christi’s five starters all scored double digits.

More than half of Texas A&M Corpus Christi’s 84 points came in the second half. All together, the Islanders made 36-65 shots (55.4 percent) compared to the Lady Colonels’ 19-52 (36.5 percent).

The Lady Colonels play Southeastern in Hammond on Feb. 14 with a tip-off time set for 3 p.m. These two teams last met on Jan. 31 in Stopher Gym where the Lady Colonels were defeated 85-46.