Food options to be revamped

A display in the Student Union food court holds sandwiches, salads and yogurt Tuesday.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

Sodexo Food Services is currently working to open several new establishments at the University.Brenda Haskins, executive director of Auxiliary Services, said the company plans to open Simply to Go, a food and study establishment, in spring 2011.

“It will be a great place to meet classmates to get something to eat and drink while studying,” Haskins said.

Simply to Go will be located in Peltier Hall near the walkway to Beauregard Hall and will offer items such as beverages, sandwiches, salads and chips.

Jazzman’s Café is also set to open near Gouaux Hall and Betsy Cheramie Ayo Hall in May or June of 2011. The café will be much like the café in the Student Union, Haskins said, but will feature a drive-up service as well as inside and outside dining areas. Haskins said it will offer a variety of grab and go salads, paninis, coffee, beignets and cinnamon rolls.

“We thought faculty, staff and guests would like this concept,” Haskins said.

All food service areas in the Student Union are also being revamped, Haskins said.

Big Bayou Pizza and Pasta will offer pizza and pasta while Original Burger Company will be an all-day concept, Haskins said, serving breakfast along with burgers and chicken strips.

Wall of Greens will be a nutritional alternative, Haskins said, where patrons will be able to create their own salad with a choice of toppings and dressings.

Subconnection will appear where Chick-Fil-A used to be and will offer made-to order subs, sandwiches and salads.

Haskins said she chose not to go with national brand restaurant chains because the companies were asking for large sums of money.

“These in-house brands from Sodexo help keep the prices lower, which I feel is a good decision for our students here at Nicholls.”

Another addition to the Student Union will be the Colonel’s Retreat. It will offer students a more upscale dining experience with the design being set up like a sports bar, Haskins said. The establishment will offer alcoholic beverages as well as burgers and other American food items.

Haskins said the restaurant will be named the Colonel’s Retreat after a popular hangout many alumni frequented.

“We thought this place would provide a good connection for a lot of people who have attended Nicholls.”

The convience store in La Maison du Bayou Apartments will also change. It will be renamed Smart Market and Freshness and move to the rec center as a yogurt and smoothie bar.

Sodexo is working hard to provide students with quality service across campus, Haskins said.

“We are trying to spread our food services throughout campus, so it will be convenient for all of our students wherever they are on campus.