Dyslexia center plans busy year despite budget cuts

Despite heavy budget cuts threatening higher education programs and facilities across the state, the campus dyslexia center is optimistic there won’t be any major changes to its services. The University’s $1.5 million budget cuts have not resulted in any changes for the dyslexia center so far this semester.

“We’re optimistic here,” said Karen Chauvin, director of the dyslexia center. “We’re in a good position because we’ve been working to raise money through our services,” Chauvin said.

“We receive some money from the state,” Chauvin said, “but most of our funds come from fees.”

In addition to offering assessments and services for students both on and off campus with learning disorders, the center also offers tutoring for students and consultation workshops for teachers.

“We’ve received tremendous support from around the state, evidenced from our conference,” Chauvin said.

Last month, the dyslexia center held its first conference titled ‘Unmasking Their Potential.’

Chauvin said that 225 people from over 60 different towns across the state attended the conference, which focused on providing insight to parents and teachers on how to better work with dyslexic children.

“The conference turned out well,” Chauvin said.

The center is planning on making the conference an annual event. Chauvin said the center is aiming to hold future conferences over two days rather than one so people attending can sit in on more sessions.