Spirit groups request student fee

Groups asking for $5 from students
Nicholls cheerleaders warm up the crowd during a basketball game inside Stopher Gym. Spirit groups have requested a self-assessed fee to help fund spirit activities at Nicholls.
Photo by: Kyrie Judeh

University spirit groups are hoping to receive some support of their own by having students vote for a new spirit fee; a five-dollar surcharge to tuition meant to help fund the groups. The Student Government Association received official notification that it can put a self-assessed spirit fee to a student vote. If a majority of students vote in favor of the fee, students carrying seven or more credit hours will begin paying an additional five dollars a semester to help fund campus spirit groups. The groups include the cheerleading squad, Pride of NSU Marching Band, Sixth Man Basketball Band, Colonelette dance team and the color guard.

Lawrence Briggs, former SGA senator for the College of Arts and Sciences, originally proposed the fee on June 16, 2008 on behalf of the campus spirit groups. Briggs said members of the band and cheerleading squad, as well as students in athletics requested the fee because spirit events were not well attended.

If the fee is passed, the spirit groups will be asked to submit a budget to the SGA’s Oversight Committee. The committee will decide how the money collected through the fee will be distributed amongst the spirit groups based on each group’s needs.

Courtney Cassard, director of enrollment services, said the cheerleading squad is in a transitional stage. The cheerleading squad on campus does not currently have an official adviser and is claimed as part of admissions. Cassard said the cheerleading squad would use the money collected from the fee to maintain their uniforms and attend cheerleading camp, which the squad has never been able to afford. The squad would also try to attend more away games during the football season. The squad attended two away games last semester.

Eric Gueniot, director of the University’s marching and basketball bands, said the bands, dance team and color guard would use the money to pay for shirts, travel bags and other expenses members usually have to pay for out of their own pockets. “The band is making due,” Gueniot said, “but if we had the money, we could pass the break onto the band members.”

Gueniot said the band might be able to attend another away game with the extra money. The full band, dance team and color guard attended one away game last semester, while the pep band attended another.

Students belonging to spirit groups are naturally approving of the fee. David Lecompte, an instrumental music education senior from Houma and member of the marching band, said he thinks the fee is a good idea and the money could go towards the band’s travel expenses. “Paying five dollars more isn’t a big deal,” Lecompte said.

Voting for the fee will take place online from Monday, March 23rd to Wednesday, March 25th along with the election of new SGA and SPA officers and Mr. and Mrs. Nicholls.

The Colonelette dance team, performs for the crowd at halftime. (Kyrie Judeh)

The “Sixth Man Basketball Band” performs during a basketball game. (Kyrie Judeh)