Track athletes have early success in meets

Junior Lauren Jones’ outstanding performance in the 3,000m run as well as the one-mile run allowed her to move to fourth place in Nicholls’ record books at the Houston Invite on Jan. 30.”I was excited because everyone was able to do lower stuff and it wasn’t what we were used to doing,” Jones said.

Jones placed first in the second heat of the one-mile run posting an impressive time of 5:24.88. Jones also placed second in the second heat of the 3,000m run with a time of 10:57.75.

“Lauren Jones finished in the top three in the mile run; it was her first time running in the event and that was a great achievement,” head coach Scott Williamson said.

“The 3,000 was not as fast as I wanted it to be,” Jones said. “My mile was a little slow but it was okay because it was a lot and I wasn’t used to it and hopefully this weekend it will drop.”

Freshman Samantha Calhoun continues to break records in the 60m dash. Calhoun broke her personal best time of 7.91s with a time of 7.84s. Calhoun moves up to second place in the Top-5 Performers List.

Freshman Imma Kosegi placed fourteenth out of sixty performers in the 800m run with a time of 2:22.50.

Juniors Rahjanaye Bailey and Jarina Guilbeau showed strength in the 60m hurdles event. Bailey broke her previous record of 9.28s with a time of 9.26s. Guilbeau performed with a time of 9.20s.

The Colonels performed in their second 4x400m relay with a time of 4:04.45, which was good enough for third place. The performance was also good enough for third place in the Top-5 Performers List.

The Lady Colonels look to continue improvements in future meets.

“Hopefully my times will be consistent with my workouts. We have been getting a lot stronger and you can tell,” Jones said.

The Lady Colonels participate in their next meet on Feb. 7 in the University of Houston All-Comers meet.