Episode showcases Lafourche Parish culinary institute

“Go Coast:  Louisiana” on WLAE-TV will feature the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute and its Executive Director Randy Cheramie on the Sunday, April 21 premier of the Lafourche Parish episode at 8:30 p.m.  
Tom Gregory, the show’s host, traveled down Bayou Lafourche, “the longest street in the world,” in March and encountered notable people, places and cultures of the parish.  Along the way, he stopped at Nicholls to taste the quality of Louisiana dishes the culinary students had to offer.  
Chef Randy Cheramie said the opportunity for the show developed from a connection made with Gregory over 30 years ago when he was a frequent patron at Cheramie’s restaurant, Randolph’s, in Golden Meadow.  
“He knew that he could find me at Nicholls now,” Cheramie said.  “He didn’t know much about what we do here, but it really opened his eyes about the culinary school.”  
Gregory’s time with Cheramie paid tribute to one of south Louisiana’s most well- known tourist attractions:  food.  Starting with a demonstration in Nicholls’ Chef Richard Curtis’ baking class, and ending with the school’s bistro dinner at the Carmel Inn, Cheramie says Gregory received the full Nicholls experience.  
“Tom thought it was very cool what we are doing here and he said there is more here than just a segment of a show,” Cheramie said.  
They also visited Bourgeois Meat Market to sample some of their unique creations such as in-house Cajun beef jerky, boudin, hog head cheese and crawfish boudin tacos.
“They have been in business for 123 years, and they have a very high quality standard,” Chearmie said about Bourgeois Meat Market.  “They are doing stuff that nobody else does.”  
Viewers can also expect to see Gregory navigate the natural elegance and geographical significance of Bayou Lafourche with the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program.  
The program, scheduled for Sunday night, will examine issues surrounding coastal erosion.  Gregory teamed up with Windell Curole, general manager of the South Lafourche Levee District, to witness  the changing and eroding wetlands of Louisiana.  
Gregory will also stop at historic Thibodaux locations such as the Edward Douglas White House, Laurel Valley Village and the Dansereau House.
The show will also give viewers an earful of Louisiana music with Waylon Thibodaux at the Swamp Stomp Festival and other performances at the Cajun Jam held at the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center.    
“Go Coast:  Louisiana” is an Emmy Award Winning television series that promotes Louisiana’s coastal culture, an awareness of endangered wetland and advocates tourism in Louisiana.  The show has documented other parishes such as St. Tammany, Plaquemines, Iberia, Calcasieu, Jefferson and Vermillion.  
Host Tom Gregory won an Emmy in the Best On-Camera Talent category for Performer/Narrator from the Suncoast Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.  He began his career in broadcasting nearly 20 years ago in Lafourche Parish.
The Lafourche Parish episode will also air on Sunday, April 28, May 5, 12, and 19 at 8:30 p.m.  
“The program is a celebration of people who have called this 100-mile-plus bayou home for centuries and have carved out a way of life like no other along its banks,” said a press release from Tom Gregory.