Colonels receive narrow victory against Lions

Men’s senior forward scores season high 25 points
Photo by: Elise Hotard

Senior forward Ryan Bathie scored a season high 25 points to lead the Colonels to a 68-65 victory over the Southeastern Lions Jan. 31, in Hammond.The last time the Colonels defeated the Lions was Feb. 17, 2007, with a score of 74-72 in Stopher Gym.

“I was excited and a little nervous because I have great respect for their program and the winning tradition they have established the past few years,” head coach J.P. Piper said. “I knew it was a big game and if we won it would put us in a great position in the league,” Piper said.

The Colonels knew that the game they were about to play would be influential in their standings for conference play.

“We are playing for first place,” freshman guard Chris Iles said. “We need to play the way we have been doing in practice and not change.”

The Colonels knew Southeastern’s level of play was high and the team would have to go in and play with their best foot forward.

“We had to go in and play hard and do what we needed to win,” Iles said. “Don’t change our game and play together as a team and start with a defensive win.”

Senior guard Justin Payne, who averages 2.2 steals per game is ranked 46th in the nation for steals. He fouled out, and Iles was asked to come in and take his place for the remainder of the game.

“Our leader fouled out and I just had to do what I had to do in order to help my team win,” Iles said. “I just feel honored and thank my coach for the opportunity to trust me and believe that I can go out there and do what I have to do to help them out.”

The win was a big one for the Colonels because they played the top-ranked conference opponent Stephen F. Austin Wed.

“I think it helps us come into a tough game on Wednesday against a team who is first in our division,” Piper said. “It gives us the confidence to know that we can win.”

The last match-up was a disappointment to the Colonels losing 50-44 at Stephen F. Austin on Jan. 17.

“We have played them before,” Piper said. “We will try to basically do the same things but do a little better this time.”

The team looks to strengthen the game plan they had the last time they played Stephen F. Austin and the game plan they had the last four conference wins.

“Don’t change what we have been doing,” Iles said. “If nothing is broke then we do not need to fix anything.”

The Colonels look to win the game against Stephen F. Austin and their game on Saturday against Texas A&M Corpus Christi with a tip-off of 3 p.m. in Stopher Gym.

“I think our guys are gaining confidence with each game and their belief in themselves is getting stronger and stronger and that makes us better,” Piper said.

Fred Hunter shoots the ball during the Northwestern State game. (Kyrie Judeh)

Justin Payne plays defense against a Northwestern State player at the men’s basketball game Saturday night in Stopher Gym. (Kyrie Judeh)