Santiago eyes 19 wins in Southland

As the Nicholls State softball team gets deeper into conference play, head coach Angel Santiago has only one number in his mind. That number is 19.
Out of 27 conference games, Santiago believes his club must win 19 of them to make the postseason.
“You’re teetering on getting in or out with 19, so we have to do some work. We’re four games behind that goal of getting near that,” Santiago said.
The reason Santiago wants to reach 19 wins in conference is because he wants to make the playoffs without having to rely on winning the 2013 Southland Conference Tournament to earn a bid. Santiago, who served as an assistant under Lonni Alameda at Florida State for eight years before coming to Nicholls last season, is trying to change the mindset of his players at Nicholls. He’s trying to build a program that is aware of its postseason implications during the season.
“I’m used to being at a program where you already know if you’re heading to the postseason before the regular season ends. That’s where we need to take this program. As opposed to trying to win a conference tournament to become eligible, we need to flat out win the conference,” Santiago said.
With a record of 10-16 and a conference record of 2-4, the Colonels are currently in 8th place in the Southland Conference, which is not where Santiago wants to be.
Santiago knows that his club has to come away with the close victories, especially with conference games being so meaningful. He knows that facing conference competition can weigh heavily on his team mentally if they let it.
“The teams in the conference certainly scout you hard and know what’s going on. You have to make adjustments,” Santiago said.
Santiago also believes conference games are tougher because they scout harder and know his team better. Santiago said it’s up to him and his staff to make adjustments and try to stay “fresh.” The hardest part about facing teams in the same league, he admits, is facing team’s No. 1 pitcher twice.
Santiago admits it was a mistake to put such high expectations on his team last season because they were unprepared. However, he feels that this team is mature enough to handle the pressure. “All we have to do is go out there and take each series,” Santiago said. “We need to make the right plays and go for the sweeps every time. We just have to keep learning from our mistakes, and it’ll all click eventually.”
Santiago took out his 2011 ACC Championship Ring and put it on the table. “That’s what it’s all about right there.”
“It’s kind of neat when you can get stuff like this,” Santiago said. “Yeah, they see this. They want the hardware. We just have to do it now.”