Colonel Close Up

Students life filled with music
Cassidy Oliver, social studies education sophomore from Houma, studies Tuesday in Ellender Memorial Library.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman

Nicholls State University is home to a wide variety of students. They major in everything from culinary arts to music. Cassidy Oliver, a social studies education sophomore from Houma is one of the many students in this diverse group.Oliver decided to attend the University not only because it was close to her home, but also because the smaller atmosphere made it almost feel like her high school.

Another reason she chose Nicholls over any other college is because of the variety of majors offered at the time. Oliver said that the courses were a lot less expensive than any other schools

Oliver’s hobbies include riding ATVs, acting, going to concerts, playing softball and spending time with family and friends.

Oliver has been riding ATVs since she was a kid. “I like it because I kick ass at it,” Oliver said.

Oliver said she has always enjoyed acting. ” I was going to be in a play in high school called ‘Greater Tuna,’ but it was cancelled,” Oliver said. ” I was going to John Robert Powers Talent Agency, but it also didn’t work out.” Oliver’s favorite part of acting has always been improvisation.

A recent Sublime concert was one of Oliver’s favorite shows, but she enjoys a variety of music from different genres. ” I like reggae, rock, and basically everything except country music.”

Oliver said she used to play on the Terrebonne Parish Recreational softball team where she played shortstop and right fielder.

After college Oliver plans to open her own beauty salon. ” My best friends are going to beauty school, so I could run the shop while they worked as beauticians,” Oliver said.

Oliver’s favorite places to hang with friends are stores and clubs, as long as they’re not in Houma. “I don’t have any favorite clubs, I usually just barhop,” Oliver said.

Spending time with family and friends is one of Oliver’s favorite things to do.

“We have family barbeques, and I almost always have friends over,” Oliver said.

Although Oliver’s major is social studies, she plans to change it to business if her major is no longer available due to possible budget cuts.

Oliver’s favorite aspect of Nicholls is Talbot Hall. ” The building itself is awesome, and I like that it gives students a chance to express themselves and be recognized for it.