Nicholls Players look to gain audience with new content

Warren Snowden, culinary arts freshman from New Orleans, jumps over Allan Brambila, history freshman from Patterson, in a scene from the upcoming Nicholls Players production Big Love during play practice last week in Talbot Theater.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Warren Snowden, culinary arts freshman from New Orleans, jumps over Allan Brambila, history freshman from Patterson, in a scene from the upcoming Nicholls Players production “Big Love” during play practice last week in Talbot Theater.

Speech instructor and director of the Nicholls Players, Daniel Ruiz intends to start a tradition of putting on plays that present a classical story in a new contemporary way, some of which include mature content. A presentation of “Big Love,” a play based on “The Supplicants,” by Aeschylus, will start this tradition. The play written by American playwright Charles L. Mee is the story of fifty brides who travel to a manor in Italy to escape marrying their suitors.

The subject matter of the play reflects on the lighter issues of love and marriage, but it also explores the darker aspects of abuse and violence.

Ruiz said this content, which includes adult language, violence and brutality against women, may keep some family members of the surrounding community away, but will draw in more students who are not as interested in attending the same traditional plays they have seen before.

“It’s like an R-rated film,” Ruiz said. “It’s not something for a child to see, but it is appropriate for any college student. Our target audience is the students.”

Ruiz said he was in a production of “Big Love,” while attending graduate school at the University of Portland in Oregon.

“It was not received well by older members, but extremely well received by the student body,” Ruiz said.

Some members of the Nicholls Players are supportive of the new direction in which Ruiz is taking them.

Lisa Cunningham, history sophomore from Houma said she thinks it is good that Ruiz is bringing something new to the university.

“I don’t think it will appeal to everyone,” Cunningham said. “It just depends on their taste.”

Abby Mayfield, dietetics senior from Slidell, is a student who does not agree with this new perspective.

Mayfield said she thinks the Nicholls Players should stay away from plays with excessive foul language and sexual innuendos.

“There are a lot of kids who come to campus to see the plays,” Mayfield said.

While the past plays put on by the Nicholls Players have been targeted for those of all ages, performers in “Big Love,” caution potential audience members of what will be contained in this show.

James Stewart, professor of mass communication, who will be playing the role of Piero, the owner of the Italian manor, said the basic nature of the play itself discusses mature issues. “It is aimed at an adult audience,” Stewart said.

Even though the play contains content directed towards an older audience, Ruiz said the subject matter is actually about what modern marriage is about.

“It is about who owns the right to it, those that own the right, how they use or abuse it,” Ruiz said. “And how can you deny a love, no matter the circumstances?”

Ruiz said his favorite aspect of the play is the style of it.

“It is very reflective of the ancient Greek ritual of theater,” Ruiz said. “There is a scene of action followed by a response such as a song, dance or some philosophical debate. It is a mixture of comedy and tragedy.”

Ruiz said the play will be an experience for the audience. “You will laugh. You will be horrified,” Ruiz said. “Hopefully besides being entertained, they will get a better sense of what justice is in the politics of love.”

“Big Love,” opens Thursday, Oct. 21 at 7:30.

Hanna Oldfather, multinational business sophomore from Berwick, and Mercedes Hebert, general studies freshman from Raceland, rehearse a scene from the upcoming Nicholls Players production “Big Love” during play practice last week in Talbot Theater. (Ashley Falterman)