Colonel alum hired in athletics dept.

Brandon Ruttley, associate director of marketing and development for athletics, works in his office Tuesday in Candies Hall.

Nicholls Athletics Director Rob Bernardi announced the hiring of former Colonel basketball player Brandon Ruttley as Associate Director of Marketing and Development.The hiring is pending approval by the University of Louisiana System Board.

Ruttley played three seasons on the Colonels basketball team and graduated from Nicholls with a B.S. in marketing in 2005.

After four years of working in medical sales before joining the Colonels staff, Ruttley will serve as executive director of the Colonel Athletic Association and will work on behalf of the University to increase funding for Nicholls Athletics.

“Brandon is a tremendous addition to our staff,” Bernardi said. “Experience as a student athlete along with a successful career in sales is the perfect ingredients for success in this position. We are delighted to have him.”

Originally from Houma, Ruttley played basketball for the Ellender Memorial High School Patriots and helped bring them to four state final four appearances as well as a state championship in 1998.

Ruttley is active in Houma as a member of the Krewe of Terreaneans. He also sits on the board of directors of the Colonel Athletic Association which is the official fundraising organization of Nicholls Athletics.

“It brings me great pleasure to accept this position at Nicholls State University,” Ruttley said. “I feel like I owe the University so much for the great experiences that I had throughout my college years. I am taking it as a personal challenge to help each and every sport have the necessary tools it takes to become successful.