Women’s basketball releases 2010-2011 schedule

Junior forward Jasmine Hoskins waits for the ball during the Feb. 13 game against Southeastern University.

The Nicholls women’s basketball team has released their schedule for the upcoming season. Entering her third season as head coach, DoBee Plaisance and the 2010-2011 Colonels, will host a marquee matchup against Louisiana State University inside Stopher Gym on Nov. 30. “We are very excited to get this season underway,” Plaisance said. “Our schedule features a lot of very talented teams, some on the road and others at home. We are confident that the product that we put on the court this season is something our fans will be proud of and want to be a part of.”

Nicholls will open the season on Nov. 12 against Southern University at New Orleans as part of the six non-conference games that will be played at home. Along with SUNO, the Colonels will host Louisiana Monroe, Grambling, Bethune-Cookman, Georgia State and LSU. The Colonels will also travel to Ole Miss, Stony Brook, St. John’s, North Texas, Southern and play in the Tulane Doubletree Classic during non-conference play.

The Colonels will host the Tigers on Nov. 11. Not only will it be the first time that LSU will come to Thibodaux, but it will also be a mother versus daughter matchup as Coach Plaisance’s daughter Theresa plays for the Lady Tigers.

“I am extremely grateful for LSU giving us the opportunity to host them at Stopher. There will be a lot of excitement around our non-conference schedule, especially that game,” Plaisance said.

The Colonels will play eight home games and eight road games during Southland Conference play beginning with a road game at Texas Arlington on Jan 8. Nicholls will host Northwestern State, Sam Houston, McNeese State, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Texas State, Lamar, Central Arkansas and end the regular season at home against Southeastern La. on March 5.

The Colonels will welcome eight new additions to the team, with four of them coming from the Houma-Thibodaux area. Along with the six returners who gained valuable playing time last year, the Colonels also return their top two scores from last season with senior guard Ricshand Bickham and sophomore forward Alisha Allen.

Bickham returns after scoring in double-digits in all but two games last year. The All-Southland Second Team nominee lead the Colonels with 18.8 points per game as a junior and also set the single-season mark for steals with 95. Allen finished last season with a 13.7 points per game average, second on the team.

All Colonel basketball games are played inside Stopher Gym. Current students will receive free admission upon presenting their Colonel Card.

Senior forward Cassie Hearon waits for the ball during last year’s game against Southern. (Ashley Falterman)