Rocky Horror Picture Show makes another appearance

The Gay-Straight Alliance will offer a free screening of the cult classic “Rocky Horror Picture Show” tomorrow night at 7 p.m. in the Student Union. Last year’s event featured food and drinks, free gifts and a costume contest, with trophies awarded to each winner.

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” released in 1975, is a British musical comedy that parodies science fiction movies and horror films. The movie stars Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a transvestite scientist, played by Tim Curry.

“In a way, this has become one of those real cult films of the queer community.” Daniel Ruiz, speech and theater instructor and GSA advisor said. “It is a fun time with a lot of audience participation.”

“People are invited to come and have a fantastic time,” Ruiz said. “There will be a screen put up and a stage for people to dress up like the characters. There will be times where audience members can throw things on stage as well as times to respond to the film.”

Audience participants will involve props provided by the GSA that will be used as followed:

Rice should be thrown at the beginning of the film during a wedding. As the couple exits the church, the guests throw rice.When this happens, the audience is also asked to throw rice.

When main characters Brad Majors and Janet Weiss are caught in a rainstorm, Weiss covers her head with newspaper. At this point, the audience should cover their heads and use water guns to simulate rain.

Candles and flashlights are to be used during the “There’s a light” verse of the song “Over at the Frankenstein Place.”

During his creation speech, Frank-N-Furter snaps his gloves three times. The crowd should snap their own rubber gloves in sync.

Noisemakers should be used at the end of the creation speech when the Transylvanians applaud.

Confetti should be thrown in unison with the Transylvanians at the end of the “Charles Atlas Song.”

When Dr. Everett Scott enters the lab and Brad yells, “Great Scott,” the audience should throw toilet paper.

When Frank-N-Furter proposes a toast, audience members should throw actual toast.

The audience should put on their own party hats when Frank-N-Furter puts his on at the dinner table.

Bells should be rung during the “Planet Schmanet Janet” song when Frank-N-Furter asks, “Did you hear a bell ring?”

During the song “I’m Going Home,” Frank-N-Furter sings, “Cards for sorrow, cards for pain.” This is the audience’s cue to throw cards in the air.

“This is a great thing for Halloween because it is a ‘mock-horror,'” Ruiz said. “It is a very ‘gayed’ out kind of show, so it is perfect for the GSA to sponsor this kind of thing.