Colonel Close-Up

Student looks forward to season
Ashley Adams spins a basketball on her fingertip Tuesday in Stopher Gym.

Ashley Adams, a human performance major from Thibodaux, began her freshman year at Nicholls with the hope of joining the basketball team.She decided to attend Nicholls because she wanted to stay close to home for college and “really wanted to walk onto the basketball team.” She was successful and is now often found in Stopher Gym practicing.

In addition to playing basketball throughout high school, Adams ran track and field, participated in the sprint relays and the javelin portion of events.

The women’s basketball season begins Nov. 1, and Adams says she expects the team to make history this year.

“I expect our team to do very well and go really far,” Adams said. “Our goal is to be cutting down nets at championships this year, and I believe that we have the talent and desire to do just that.”

Adams has played basketball since she was about six years old, playing the point guard position. However, this season you can probably see her playing the shooting guard position.

“I’m really excited to see how far the team can go,” Adams said. “We have been working so hard and I know that it will pay off in the end. I really do want to make history here for our program and to just be a part of that excitement.”

Adams said that when she is not in the gym getting in extra practice for the upcoming season, she is catching up on much needed sleep or hanging out with her teammates.

“I love the whole athletics program,” Adams said. “It is like we’re one big family, and we all support one another in each sport.”

Adam’s schedule is filled with basketball and classes. Her favorite class is speech.

“I really never liked speaking in front of people, but that class has definitely helped me get over that fear.”

Her least favorite class is state and local government, “only because it’s a night class, and it’s extremely difficult to stay focused during a three hour class at night.”

Adams said she is ready for Halloween, because the cold weather is finally starting to set in, and the decorations are becoming a more common sight.

“Halloween is actually one of my favorite holidays, because I love going to haunted houses and all the things that come with the holiday,” Adams said. “I love the rush of adrenaline I get from being scared!”

Adams has a lot going on with the upcoming season and the end of the semester, but “I just love so much about Nicholls,” she said.