Faculty member prepares for new role in “Big Love

Julie Jeansonne, benefi ts coordinator for human resources, rehearses a scene for the upcoming Nicholls Players production Big Love during play practice Monday in Talbot Theater.
Julie Jeansonne, benefi ts coordinator for human resources, rehearses a scene for the upcoming Nicholls Players production “Big Love” during play practice Monday in Talbot Theater.

A Nicholls faculty member is preparing to meet a goal on her list of accomplishments by taking on a role in “Big Love,” this year’s fall play. Julie Jeansonne, human resources benefits coordinator, said she has always wanted to give acting a chance and found the opportunity when she received a campus-wide e-mail encouraging people to try out for the play.

“In it, he stated that there was a need for one or two ‘mature’ characters,” Jeansonne said. “I knew I fit that bill pretty well.”

Jeansonne will be playing the part of Bella, the family matriarch. She said that after reading the play, she was excited about the possibility of playing the part.

“The play gives me the opportunity to prove to myself that getting older doesn’t stop you from trying new things,” Jeansonne said.

She has earned the respect of the other actors in the play with her performance.

Fellow cast member, James Stewart, department head and associate professor of mass communication, said the character Jeansonne plays has some of the funniest and most poignant lines in the play.

“She is doing an excellent job,” Stewart said. “She’s very impressive. She has one of the more important monologues in the play, which is very long and complicated. She does an amazing job of delivering it.”

To prepare for her part in the play, Jeansonne said she tried speaking with an Italian accent in her office.

“That didn’t go over too well,” Jeansonne said.

Jeansonne said the cast of the play is very talented, and she wants to make sure she lives up to their expectations, although getting out in front of people makes her very nervous.

Even though Jeansonne has reservations about the possibility of stage fright and has difficulty with the time commitment involved, she said she has always wanted to be in a play.

“Bucket list-check,” Jeansonne said.

Gavin Johnson, English sophomore from Cut Off, and Julie Jeansonne, benefi ts coordinator for human resources, rehearse a scene for the upcoming Nicholls Players production “Big Love” during play practice Monday in Talbot Theater. (Ashley Falterman)