Student groups begins anti-budget cut campaigns

Amy Mahler, interim president of Stand Up and art senior from St. Rose, conducts Stand Ups first meeting last Wednesday in the snack bar area of the Student Union.
Amy Mahler, interim president of Stand Up and art senior from St. Rose, conducts Stand Up’s first meeting last Wednesday in the snack bar area of the Student Union.

Stand Up, the student-formed organization founded to fight higher education budget cuts, is working on various campaigns and events to spread the word about the importance of the University.The most recent project the organization has completed is a white T-shirt print run, in which students could bring in T-shirts to have the Stand Up logo printed on them. The run, which took place Oct. 13, was a success with over 150 shirts printed, Stand Up interim president Amy Mahler, art senior from St. Rose, said.

Because of the success of the first run, Mahler said the organization is considering another run.

“When someone wears the shirt, someone will ask, ‘what is Stand Up?’ and the person wearing the shirt will explain what the group is about. It’s a way to spread awareness.”

The organization is also asking students and members of the community to write letters to their legislators explaining how important higher education institutions are. Sample letters have been provided on the organization’s Web site, www.standup4la.org, as well as addresses for the governor, treasurer and other state lawmakers.

When someone writes a letter, it should express the emotions he or she feels about the cuts, Mahler said.

“They need to see that we are not happy about this.”

The My Dollar campaign is currently underway as well. The goal of the campaign is to show local business owners that their profits will disappear if the University closes. Participants can download “dollars” from the organization’s Web site and are asked to hand them to the cashier to put in the register for storeowners to see.

“The My Dollar campaign is all about letting businesses that Nicholls serves know the reality of what will happen if Nicholls had to close it’s doors,” Mahler said. “They would lose a lot of money.”

Mahler said Stand Up is also planning to hold a peaceful rally, an initiative first seen at the University of New Orleans, at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on Nov. 10. Everyone is invited to attend, and participants will meet on the Ayo side of the stadium at 10 a.m. Participants will depart by carpool at 10:15 a.m. Everyone is asked to wear black.

The Student Government Association has teamed up with Stand Up as well, Mahler said. SGA will help pass out flyers, posters and other information to the public. Another capitol rally with both organizations is in the works for January.

“SGA is backing us up 100 percent,” Mahler said. “They are joining our forces so we don’t have so many other groups pop up on campus that are trying to fight for the same thing. Their input has been great.”

Members of Stand Up will be raising awareness at upcoming community events in addition to the work they are already doing, Mahler said. The organization will be at the Larose French Food Festival on Oct. 31, handing out postcards and talking to people about what the group is trying to do. They will also be hosting a benefit concert on Nov. 6 at the City Club of Houma from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m.

The Stand Up organization meets every Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Student Union, unless otherwise noted. Everyone is encouraged to attend.