Science Olympiad to test local students

There is an alternative to the static style of the traditional science fair that many students have come to know, and sometimes dread, throughout their scholastic careers.The Science Olympiad is an event that has teams of students putting their knowledge of science to the test by competing against each other throughout a number of events in hopes of moving on to the next round. The regional level of the competition will be held at Nicholls State University on Saturday.

“It is a good community outreach program and helps to promote the science department,” Glenn Lo, associate professor of physical sciences and Science Olympiad coordinator, said.

Founded in 1983 by Gerard Putz and John Cairns, the Science Olympiad, which began as a small group of educators, has become a major national event. The competition has students striving to win a variety of prizes, including medals. Top winners of the Olympiad may receive scholarships from a number of different companies.

The competition includes the following: Middle School Division B (Grades 6-9) and High School Division C (Grades 9-12). There are also divisions A1-A3, which are aimed at preparing younger students for the competition.

The Olympiad will draw students from schools from the surrounding parishes and local area. There will be about 26 teams participating, including Thibodaux High School and E.D. White High School.

For 25 years, the Olympiad has been a revolutionary way to make the process of science education fun and exciting for students. Teams compete in events that involve a broad range of sciences. Disciplines include: Earth and Space, Physical and Social Science, Chemistry and many others.

The team that scores the highest in the most events will move on to the state level competition at Southeastern Louisiana University. Winners at the state level then move on to the national level.

“What makes this experience so valuable is that students learn to work as part of a team. They can see science applied in real situations and at the same time learn that science can be fun,” Lo said.

Lo also believes that the Science Olympiad will give students a better idea about possible future careers.

This is the fourth year that the Science Olympiad has been held at Nicholls. The University will continue to be involved with the program in years to come. Perhaps the most valuable lesson that the students will receive is a greater appreciation of the importance of science.

” Science is life,” Lo said. “Basically, it is our future.