Charlie Brown hits the Danos Theater with a twist

Cast members go over their scenes at play rehersal in the theatre.

The Nicholls Players are performing a satire of the Peanuts gang directed by Anna Broussard entitled, “Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead.”
According to Broussard, this show “pushes the envelope” compared to productions that Nicholls Players have done in the past. “This show will have the first homosexual kiss in Nicholls Players history,” Broussard said. “It is different from anything else we’ve ever done.”
This show goes through the tough times that CB, more commonly known as Charlie Brown, faces after his dog, Snoopy, dies. “It is a very relatable play because the Peanuts gang goes through the same finding-of-oneself journey and the common struggles that most adolescents face,” Broussard said.
The characters in the play are very easily recognizable but the names are changed. According to Broussard, this is because the playwright of this production couldn’t get the copyright for the familiar names of Charlie Brown and his gang.
Chad Derocher, a mass communication sophomore from Chackbay, plays CB. According to Derocher, he connects to CB because he is a very relatable character that goes through those universal feelings that most teenagers feel. “CB is, for lack of a better word, the lead of the play,” Derocher said. “He is trying to discover who he really is throughout the course of the story.”
Maggie Hunt, an English junior from Baton Rouge, plays CB’s Sister, or Sally. According to Hunt, she is nothing like CB’s Sister because she has always known and stayed true to who she was. She never let a boy define her, unlike her character. “It is always a blast pretending to be someone that you aren’t on stage,” Hunt said. “CB’s sister really doesn’t know who she is and she is trying to find herself,” Hunt said. “She is a very dramatic teenager who is obsessed with a boy.”
Trey Acosta, a creative writing senior from Cutoff, plays Van, more commonly known as Linus. Acosta said he isn’t much like his character. “Linus is a bit of a party animal but he is also a bit of a philosopher in his own right,” Acosta said, “He is always giving people advice on life and he sounds very proper all the time.”
Ali Kelton, a culinary junior from Houma, plays Marcy. Kelton said that she is nothing like her character because she was never mean to others in high school. “It is always fun to play someone who you are nothing like,” Kelton said. “Marcy is the typical follower of the mean girl around school,” Kelton said. “She basically just follows the basic, warped moral code that most mean girls go by.”
Dylan Guedry, a psychology major from St. Amant, plays Matt, or Pigpen.  According to Guedry, he is nothing like his character. “It is always fun to put myself in a position where I am nothing like my character,” Guedry said. “Matt is the typical jerk guy on campus and a bit of a bully,” Guedry said, “but at the same time he is very self-conscious person.”
Alana Buquoi, an athletic training junior from Marrero, plays Trisha, more commonly known as Peppermint Patty. Buquoi explained she can relate somewhat to her character because she has been friends with the mean girl around school so she knows how someone like that acts. “Trisha is the typical mean girl,” Buquoi said. “She is snobby and rude to everyone around her.”
The show will run from Oct. 10 through Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m. and on Oct. 13 at 2:30 p.m. in the Mary M. Danos Theater. Entry will be $5 for students and $10 for the community. Tickets will be sold at the door.
“I am hoping that the students and faculty will see all the hard work we put into this production and appreciate the play for what it is,” Broussard said.