Loyd transitions from player to coach

Assistant volleyball coaches, Nicole McCoy and Jaye Loyd, talk during Saturdays game against Louisiana Tech.
Assistant volleyball coaches, Nicole McCoy and Jaye Loyd, talk during Saturday’s game against Louisiana Tech.

Jaye Loyd begins her first season as an assistant coach at Nicholls after playing at the University of Tennessee and Tulane University.”The season is going great. The girls have improved tremendously since I got here. They’re very open-minded, willing to learn, and they have adjusted well to the new coach.” Loyd said.

Originally from Stockton, Calif., Loyd spent the first three years of her playing career with UT and played in 75 matches from 2006-2008. During her time with the Lady Vols., Loyd posted 319 digs, 266 assists, 16 aces, two kills, and two blocks. As a freshman in 2006, Loyd ranked sixth on the team with 103 digs and 1.32 digs per set.

In 2009, Loyd transferred to Tulane for her final season where she played in 24 of 28 matches in 2009. Loyd ranked second on the team with 36 assists and a 0.49 assist/set average. Loyd also recorded 138 digs for a 1.86 dig/set average. Loyd graduated from Tulane in 2010.

“I found Nicholls through the coaching world. I know a few people that have gotten to know other people, and someone had mentioned Nicholls.” Loyd said, “The moving has been crazy. Every place that I’ve been to has been different. Thibodeaux is definitely very unique. It’s the smallest town, but I like it.”

Last week, the Colonels won the conference opener after a close match with Southeastern. The match saw 19 tie scores and eight lead changes.

“It’s really fun and exciting. It’s very different from being a player, but it’s very fulfilling to see the girls succeed.” Loyd said.