Nicholls staff members receive award for service to University

The 16th annual quality achievement awards were given out over the Christmas break to three employees in the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services based on nominations from their supervisors and co-workers. Based on the criteria of “self-motivation, enthusiasm, willingness to perform beyond the call of duty and positive representation of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services,” Catherine Arcement, Steve Tullis and Stacey Guidry each received Quality Achievement Awards.

Arcement, Administrative Coordinator for Financial Aid, received the Joanne C. Ferriot Office Support Award. Rachel Babin, Assistant Director of Financial Aid, mentioned in her nomination of Arcement, “Cathy stepped outside of her normal job duties and worked providing deferments to students who needed to activate their classes. The students appreciated her work and would return to ask her other questions since she had done such a great job assisting them the first time.”

Tullis, University Police lieutenant, received the Operational Support Staff award for his service to campus police. Diane Garvey, Director of University Health Services, mentioned Tullis’ response to an intoxicated student in her nomination.

“Instead of arresting the student…Steve called the Dean of Students to discuss what other options might be available in dealing with the situation.” Garvey said, “This was not an easy way to deal with the situation as it took more time and effort on the part of the officer than it would if he had just given the student a ticket or had the student arrested.”

Guidry, Director of Disability Services and Crisis Intervention Coordinator, received the Bonnie J. Bourg Professional Staff Award. Francisco Chacon, director of auxiliary services, said in his nomination of Guidry that, “she has such a positive and enthusiastic personality which helps her engage with students.”

On receiving her award, Guidry said she feels supported and encouraged in the idea that her co-workers felt she met the requirements and that her job performance was recognizable.

In addition to her award, Guidry also won a drawing for the Employee of the Year parking space.