Homecoming king and queen reflect on week’s events

Scholars Hall nominee Johnathan Lynch, culinary arts senior from Ruston, congratulates Student Programming Association nominee Lacey Angeron, mass communication junior from Patterson, after she is pronounced Homecoming queen during half-time of Saturdays
Scholars Hall nominee Johnathan Lynch, culinary arts senior from Ruston, congratulates Student Programming Association nominee Lacey Angeron, mass communication junior from Patterson, after she is pronounced Homecoming queen during half-time of Saturday’s

University president Stephen Hulbert crowned Student Government Association nominee John Lombardo and Student Programming Association nominee Lacey Angeron as this year’s Homecoming king and queen at halftime during Saturday’s football game.Angeron, broadcast journalism junior from Patterson, serves as the chairman for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority and is the spirit and travel chairperson for the Student Programming Association. She is also an orientation leader.

For Angeron, hearing her name announced as queen was a complete surprise.

“I was shocked. Being on court was such an honor. I didn’t think queen was a possibility.”

Though being crowned was a significant part of Angeron’s week, she said the pep rally was a great event to experience.

“It was really exciting to see students from the different organizations supporting the Colonels and cheering them on to victory.”

Angeron said she will most remember the unity she saw as University students came together to support each other as the Homecoming events came to a close.

“Some of the events that occurred that weekend really brought the students together, and it made me really happy to see that.”

Lombardo, government junior from Thibodaux, is the vice president of the Student Government Association and president of Circle K. He is also the treasurer of Kappa Sigma fraternity.

Lombardo also said he was surprised about his announcement as king.

“I was excited that Lacey won. I felt that she deserved it. I was surprised to hear my name called though, but I was really excited.”

The entire week was an enjoyable one, Lombardo said, and sharing it with the other court members made it special.

“My favorite part of the week was hanging out with all the other people on court. You get to meet a lot of great and fun people that are involved just like you.”

For Lombardo, Homecoming was a reminder that the University truly is a community that cares for all of its members.

“The Nicholls community really comes together in all sorts of situations, and it really shows that we’re a family.

The 2010 Homecoming court poses for a photo during half-time of Saturday’s football game against Bacone College. (Ashley Falterman)