Women’s basketball ready for new season with new coach

Photo by: Elise Hotard

After having two girls dismissed from the team, the Lady Colonel basketball team heads into the season with four seniors, seven freshmen, and a new coach. Juniors Barbara Febus and Maggie Green were dismissed from the team in September for violating a team policy, according to the coaching staff.

Seniors Christie Bryant, Tiffany Jones, Funaki Kefu and Dominique Washington are the foundation for the team and the role models for the seven freshmen.

“If we teach the freshmen the right things we know, they will not have a problem next year, especially with our new coach,” Jones said.

Jones is a returning senior guard and is eager to start the season.

“I am pretty positive about this year, “Jones said. “There are a lot of girls coming in with positive attitudes. We all have different skills but, if we put them together, it will end positively.”

Newly appointed head coach, DoBee Plaisance, is pleased with how her team has progressed and how positive her players have stayed.

“I have been very pleased with the amount of time and effort these women have put into becoming better players. All of them have positive attitudes, and come to practice ready and willing to do whatever it is we ask of them,” Plaisance said.

There is so much pressure on the incoming freshman because of the lack of sophomores and juniors on the team.

“I have a positive outlook and am very optimistic,” said freshman small forward/shooting guard Jasmine Hoskins. “I do not know what is going to happen or what our competition looks like because I have never played on this level. If we play together we will have a positive ending.”

Plaisance is hoping to bring a new era to women’s basketball.

“We have been working on breakdowns defensively and blocking out. The team has bought into what we are trying to accomplish here,” Plaisance said. “We have been trying to teach them how to make reads on offense as well. In our system, you have to make reads within it to be successful. If we do that, we will be pretty hard to defend.”

Jones is ready to take up leadership as one of four seniors and help lead her team to a successful season.

“The first thing I have to do is do the right thing,” Jones said. “By doing the right thing outside brings a positive attitude to basketball. If you study and do well academically, you do not have to worry about a grade during practice or a game.”

Hoskins is ready to step up as a freshman and play the game she has played her whole life.

“My dad is big on basketball,” Hoskins said. “Before I came, he said ‘when you step on the court, you are not a freshman anymore, you are a basketball player.’ I’m not afraid to play, so we will see how that goes.”

The Lady Colonels face a tough schedule ahead. The teams face tough teams before starting conference play Jan. 20 against Northwestern.

“Although we face a very challenging schedule in the new era, we are very excited about the opportunities and look forward to having future success,” Plaisance said. “The schedule won’t be easy by any means, but we will learn from our mistakes and build on our successes along the way.”

Plaisance is hoping to use non-conference home court advantage for more success.

“We will be playing against some great coaches and players in non-conference, and that will only help us when we begin playing conference games,” Plaisance said. “Playing on our home floor and in front of our home fans four times in non-conference can only help us build confidence. It is safe to say that we are very excited to play at home.”

Jones is not afraid of this years schedule and is ready for challenges along the way.

“I think we have a good chance this year,” Jones said. “I am not scared of this year’s schedule. I mean what is the worst that can happen? We can get blown out by 50 points but it is not like it has not happened before.”

The team is ready to kick off their season under the advisement of a new coach.

“I love our coaching staff,” Hoskins said. “I signed to Loyola but then switched. Everything that she tells me I buy 100 percent. If she tells me something will happen, I believe it will.”

The seniors have to adjust to playing their last year for Nicholls under a new coach.

” It is very intense and she is a very intense person,” Jones said. “It is different because she pushes everything out of you. If your left leg hurts, you better find a way to run on your right. She tells us ‘If you do not run until you pass out, you will never know how far you can run.’ She is a very positive person.”

The team starts their season Nov. 14 against South Alabama in Alabama.