King and queen of Homecoming picked

University President Stephen Hulbert congratulates Homecoming Queen Marquita Hill, family and consumer science senior from Boutte, and King Ugochukwu Ugo Ezema, biology senior from Kingston, Jamaica.
Photo by: University Relations
University President Stephen Hulbert congratulates Homecoming Queen Marquita Hill, family and consumer science senior from Boutte, and King Ugochukwu “Ugo” Ezema, biology senior from Kingston, Jamaica.

The 2008 Homecoming Queen and King were announced at Saturday’s football game against the University of Central Arkansas. Marquita Hill, family and consumer science senior from Boutte, was crowned Homecoming Queen. She was nominated by Residence Life, where she serves as head resident.

“I was honestly just shocked,” Hill said. “All I could say is ‘Oh my God.’ I wasn’t really expecting it. I was just excited to be on court.”

Ugochukwu “Ugo” Ezema, biology senior from Kingston, Jamaica, was nominated by the National Pan-Hellenic Council. He was announced Homecoming King.

“I was surprised,” Ezema said. “It was just a great feeling.”

Hill and Ezema were among 14 men and women that made up the 2008 Homecoming Court. Their time on court allowed them to meet new people and take on active roles in Homecoming Week activities, Hill and Ezema said.

“I feel we had a great court,” Hill said. “We all clicked so well. So now I have 13 more friends. They were so fun to be around.”

“I’ve never been as intimately involved in Homecoming Week as I was,” Ezema said. “When you put yourself into it, the little things you missed out on become such great experiences.”

Hill is treasurer of the Residence Hall Association and a Supreme Court Justice for the Student Government Association. She is actively involved in Mount Airy Baptist Church, where she is a member of the choir and a leader of the youth ministry.

Hill volunteers at a children’s center called Le Cirque in Senator Circle, a public housing development in Houma. She tutors children after school and gets them involved in recreational activities, such as movie days and kickball.

“Getting involved is really beneficial because you kind of leave your mark on people,” Hill said. “You get to meet new people and you get to learn a lot from them.”

After graduation Hill plans to pursue a master’s degree in social work.

“She’s a great woman,” Ezema said of Hill. “She’s just a beautiful person overall, someone people want to be around.”

Ezema is active as an NAACP ambassador, the vice president of the Nicholls International Community, an SGA senator and an orientation team leader. He takes on roles in the Student Programming Association and Residence Life.

“I consider him one of my friends,” Hill said. “I love Ugo. He’s really openhearted. He’s just a great guy.”

After graduation Ezema plans to attend medical school or graduate school. His time at Nicholls has prepared him to fulfill these ambitions, Ezema said.

“Nicholls has helped me a lot to grow as a person, socially and personally,” Ezema said. “I’ve been able to communicate with people and it’s helped me with achieving my goals.