Dat Louisiana Column

Dome is where the heart is

The Louisiana Superdome, or just simply the Superdome, has been a beloved part of the state to many people since it opened in 1975. It has always been one of my favorite buildings since I was a child. There is something about its unique shape and style that makes it perfect for the city it calls home.

The Superdome features many attributes that make it a truly amazing part of Louisiana. It holds the honor of being the largest fixed domed structure in the world, is capable of seating 72,968 when expanded for football games, has hosted New York Yankees exhibition games from 1980 to 1983, is located on the site of the former Girod Street Cemetery and has an interior of 125,000,000 cubic feet.

It has been home to the New Orleans Saints, a celebrated venue for a variety of bands and concertgoers and even a last resort sanctuary for residents during Hurricane Katrina.

Close to 30,000 people sought shelter in the dome during the devastating Katrina. I remember the feeling of the city missing its heart the year that the dome was closed. There was such an indescribable feeling in the state when it reopened for the Saints’ home opener against the Atlanta Falcons on September 24, 2006. It was as if the life had returned to an injured New Orleans.

I have watched and rejoiced as the Saints defeated opponents here. I have walked through the rain to my car, mourning after close losses, but comforted by the fact that there was always next week. I got to see Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat and Ric Flair go at it during Clash of the Champions VI. I even remember taking a wrong turn with my brother while attending a WCW Monday Nitro event, and literally almost running into Dusty Rhodes and Hulk Hogan.

I have many fond memories of attending events held in the dome. I hope there are many more to come, and that there is never another time when I have to sit and wonder about the fate of the dome.

New Orleans without the Superdome is truly like beignets without the powdered sugar.