Letter from the Editor

I understand the effect budget cuts is having on the University and how busy everyone is on campus these days. This is seen especially in the amount of vacant positions on campus. Nothing can be more stressful than having to pick up more work being understaffed. We are also currently dealing with this in The Nicholls Worth, having at least four unstaffed positions at the current moment.Due to recent press releases, we feel that people believe we are trying to show aspects of this campus in a negative light; however, this not the case. Please use the interviews to share your side of the story. Any information about the story is better than a no comment. We try to report everything as factually as possible, and we need your help to get questions and rumors answered.

We are very flexible and willing to meet with you on your time before our deadline. We need you to make our stories better, credible and factually correct.

Even though our paper does not come out until Thursday, there is a process that we follow. Hopefully, letting people know about our deadline will help us all communicate more effectively.

On the Friday morning through Tuesday afternoon before the paper comes out, we are trying to turn stories in. We start laying out the paper Tuesday afternoon and often stay on campus until at least midnight if not later trying to finish as much of the paper as possible.

Wednesday is the day we finish the smaller details of the paper and send the pages to our printer in Hattiesburg, Miss. by our deadline. Unless an event happened on Tuesday night or some other extreme circumstance, we generally do not insert stories in the paper on Wednesday due to deadlines that we cannot miss.

Hopefully seeing our deadlines will help with the scheduling of interviews and gives everyone a better idea of how we run.

In a perfect world, all interviews and stories would be done by the Tuesday before the paper comes out; however, we know this is not always the case. We just ask that you let us know when a conflict arises and you are not able to meet with us or would like to suggest someone else to speak with if you cannot or do not want to meet with us.

I would like to thank those who have been so accommodating by meeting with various staff members of The Nicholls Worth and helping us to get facts straight and stories out on deadline. For that, I am deeply appreciative.

Like I said earlier, we need you to make our stories better, credible and factually correct.

If any problems arise or you would like to speak with me about a story, feel free to contact me at (985) 448-4258 or [email protected], and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

We are also always looking for story ideas, but we do not know everything that happens on campus. Please feel free to contact The Nicholls Worth to suggest a story idea or give more details about a story we have already done.

Help us to help you.

Thanks in advance for everything,

Katelyn Thibodeaux

Editor of The Nicholls Worth