Ross’ Rockin’ Review

Miss May I
Image taken from Last.FM
Image taken from Last.FM

This week’s review is of one of the most anticipated metalcore albums of the year. Miss May I’s first album, “Apologies Are For The Weak” rocked the world with its fast, in-your-face kind of music in June of 2009. This year, they have pushed the envelope again with their follow-up, “Monument.”Miss May I made it known in their first album that they were a force to be reckoned with. The combination of heavy breakdowns, memorable vocals and ridiculously fast drums make up a great sound for any metal-head.

The new album did not disappoint. From the very first song until the last, “Monument” reminds me why I’m a fan of Miss May I. Levi Benton (lead vocals) and Ryan Neff (bass/clean vocals) have done a great job with the vocals on this record.

Benton has tremendously improved his vocals since the first album. While still following the same style of music, he seems to be pushing his boundaries. Neff’s vocals have become a bit more uniform while also increasing in ability. He is even given his own solo in terms of vocals in the song, “In Recognition.”

All in all, the album is a complete success in my book. Miss May I really pulled through for this album. Their effort should definitely be recognized. For old listeners and fans of “Apologies Are For The Weak”, get out there and buy a copy of the new record as soon as you can. For those who have never heard of the band, but want a rough, genuine new metalcore band to rock your eardrums, be sure to check out this band.

I give the album a 4.5 out of 5 for great improvement while still keeping the same style of the first album. Check out Miss May I on www.myspace.com/missmayi, and find their new album, “Monument” on iTunes!