Questions & Answers

Senior runner goes the distance
Senior distance runner Kadi Whisnant participates in last years invitational at LSU.
Senior distance runner Kadi Whisnant participates in last year’s invitational at LSU.

Kadi Whisnant is a senior from Baton Rouge majoring in family & consumer sciences. This is her fourth year as a distance runner for the Colonels’ track team and her third running cross-country.As a junior, Whisnant set her personal best for the 5K course in her first race of the season, clocking in at 11th place with a time of 19:53.91 at the Mississippi State Invitational. Whisnant finished fourth with a time of 18:43.45 at the Southern Miss open.

Whisnant currently holds the school record in the indoor mile clocking with a ninth place time of 5:05.18 in the prelims of the Southland Conference Indoor Championships. She then advanced to the finals and claimed sixth place.

Q: How are things looking based on the beginning of the season?

A: Things are looking good. We brought in three new freshmen. We just had our season opener and things went really well for us.

Q: What’s the hardest thing about being a distance runner?

A: The hardest thing is that it’s an everyday thing. It’s year-round. We are the first athletes up in the morning. We practice at 6 in the morning and 6 at night. You have to have a lot of self-discipline.

Q: Do you prefer relays or individual races?

A: Individuals are my favorite because they are more self-gratifying. When I get the opportunity, I like to run with my teammates. It’s nice to know that your own teammates are there for you.

Q: Which do you prefer, cross-country or track running?

A: I always say that track is my baby. It’s definitely my favorite. Cross-country is still important because I put in the heavy mileage. It’s so hard, but it makes you mentally strong. If it weren’t for cross-country, I wouldn’t be the runner that I am today.

Q: What is your favorite moment of being on the team so far?

A: I love getting our new recruits excited about the new season. I also love going on long runs with my friends. My best memory is my runs with my friend Lauren. When you go on a 10 mile run with someone, you can really get to know them.

Q: Any superstitions before a race?

A: I have so many. The day before I race, I always eat the same food. I’ll also wear the same socks. I like to run a few miles before a race.

Q: How do you get yourself pumped up before a race?

A: I always talk to my coach. He gets me very excited. I also talk to my mom, who has done a great job in supporting me. I always do a three-mile run with my iPod, too.

Q: What would you say is the toughest thing about being a student athlete?

A: I think the toughest thing is balancing school with practices and traveling. College is also an experience in the social aspect. You have to always remember to keep your mind on track.

Q: Who is your favorite athlete and why?

A: Drew Brees is definitely my favorite. He has always been so humble and thankful for what he has. It makes me so proud as a fan to see someone who is so good while still remembering where he came from. My mom always tells me to never forget where I came from.