Student Union food court’s delayed renovations explained

Lenessa Wright, art freshman from Raceland; Jessie Bethancourt, nursing junior from Houma; and Sarah Lirette, education freshman from Lockport, wait in line Friday at Sub Connection in the Student Union.

The grand opening of the new food court in the Student Union has been moved to the beginning of the spring 2011 semester.The food court was originally scheduled to have its grand opening in October. The University reopened the food court so that students would have more options than were available during the summer.

Mike Davis, assistant vice president of administration, said that in hindsight, the food court could have probably stayed open over the summer.

“We had some issues regarding the language in the contracts that we had to work through,” Davis said.

Davis said the University is waiting for the design from the architect. Once the design is finished, the fire marshal has to approve the drawings so that construction can begin. After the fire marshal gives his approval, Davis’s office will review the drawings a final time.

Brenda Haskins, executive director of auxiliary services, said the planning process took longer than expected. “The lawyers don’t understand our urgency or timeline,” Haskins said.

Haskins said the plan is to open the Colonels Retreat by the end of the fall semester. It will be like an upscale sports bar with a Nicholls theme. “Students will be able to go in and have a beer, watch the game, or sit and chat,” Haskins said.

Richard Curtis, general manager of Sodexo, said that he and his staff have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to prepare for construction.

“I know that there have been problems, but by adding workers, we’ve been able to make the food more readily available,” Curtis said.

The temporary operations in the Student Union will close for construction during the Thanksgiving break and will not reopen until the spring semester.

Haskins said that after Christmas break, operations should be ready to go. “Then we will have a grand opening,” Haskins said.

There will be four venues to choose from in the newly designed Student Union food court. Bayou Pizza and Pasta, Wall of Greens and The Original Burger Company will be available in addition to Sub Connection. Haskins said the new options will include everything from soup and salad to burgers and pizza. “At each of these venues, we’re hoping to have some kind of value meal as well,” Haskins said.

“The money is there, and we’re going to keep moving forward,” Haskins said. “We didn’t meet our original goal, but we’re not giving up.