SGA to hold fall 2010 elections

The Student Government Association will be holding its fall elections for the 2010 Homecoming Court from Sept. 12 -15.There are 49 nominees on the ballot. The top seven men and women will form the court, and the top man and woman will be crowned this year’s king and queen.

SGA president Brittany Taraba said voting for homecoming court will take place from noon Sept. 12 to noon Sept. 15 and can be done online. A voting link will be provided on the University homepage. A voting booth will also be set up in the Student Union. Anyone wishing to see pictures of the candidates will be able to visit the Student Union lobby in the days leading up to and during the elections.

The court announcement will be made at 1:30 pm on Sept. 15 in front of the Student Union, and king and queen will be announced at halftime during the homecoming game on Sept. 25, SGA vice president John Lombardo said.

Positions for freshman senators and University College senators will not be elected due to the small number of applications submitted, Taraba said. Freshman senators are: Bejamin Barnes, Devon Coleman, Precious Harris, Ashli Prosperie and Alexandra Stoufflet. University College senators are: Gary Baker, Jr., Elizabeth Bergeron, Brady Chiasson, Holly Ford, Brittanie Menzer and Rondreka Pitts.

Taraba said there are still freshman senator positions open and anyone interested should visit the SGA office located in the Student Union.

Four education senator positions, five senator-at-large positions, one culinary position, three supreme court justice positions and two spots on the election commission are also still open, Taraba said.

Applicants for the education and culinary senator positions must be members of that respective college, Lombardo said. Applicants for supreme court justice positions must have at least 45 credit hours, above a 2.5 cumulative GPA, a current GPA of at least 2.0, be a fee-paying student of at least seven hours, have attended the University for at least one semester and can not be a current member of SPA or SGA.

Election commission applicants must be fee-paying students of at least seven hours, have at least 30 credit hours, have above a 2.5 cumulative GPA, have a current GPA of at least 2.0, have attended the University for at least one semester and can not be a current member of SPA or SGA.

Senator-at-large positions represent the University at large to ensure that students are covered. Because these positions were not filled during spring elections, they will now be filled by appointment. Students interested in the positions should visit the SGA office.