Students compete in derby bout

Charlie Bergeron, aka Bam Bam, art sophomore from Houma, roller skates Friday in front of the Student Union to distribute fliers for the upcoming Cajun Rollergirls derby.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
Charlie Bergeron, aka “Bam Bam,” art sophomore from Houma, roller skates Friday in front of the Student Union to distribute fliers for the upcoming Cajun Rollergirls derby.

Three Nicholls students will be participating in a roller derby bout Saturday, Sept. 25, at the Warren J. Harang Municipal Auditorium in Thibodaux.Logan Sonier, pre-med sophomore, Lauren McMahill, pre-med junior, and Charlie Bergeron, art sophomore, are members of the Cajun Rollergirls, a roller derby league based in Houma.

Roller derby is a full contact sport matching two teams against one another. Each team consists of five players and the match can have three 20-minute periods or two 30-minute periods. Just as in other sports, each team plays offense and defense and the team who scores the most points at the end of the match wins. In roller derby, each team skates around an oval track in specific formations while the “jammer” of each team attempts to score points by lapping members of the opposing team.

Since the Cajun Rollergirls began meeting in April of 2008, they have been a great supporter of local charities. In August of 2008 the Rollergirls donated a truckload of school supplies for low-income children. In December of 2008, they raised over $1,000 by hosting the “Toys for Tots Bar Hop.” The Rollergirls have also spoken at local schools such as Houma Junior High School and Ellender Memorial High School to promote a healthy, active and drug-free lifestyle.

As the season gets underway, the Rollergirls have found yet another charity to support, the Bayou Grace Foundation. The Bayou Grace Foundation is an advocacy group designed to build awareness regarding issues affecting the five bayous in lower Terrebonne Parish. The Deepwater Horizon oil spill in April has had an effect on many fishermen and their families, and the Rollergirls want to help these families the only way they know how.

The Cajun Rollergirls will compete against the Southern Misfits of Hattiesburg, Miss., on Saturday, Sept. 25. The ticket money will be donated to the Bayou Grace Foundation in support of local fishermen. Tickets are $12 for adults, $6 for children and toddlers 2-years-old and under get in free. Tickets can be purchased through Ticket Master or the municipal auditorium box office. Doors will open at 6 p.m. and the match will begin at 7 p.m. The Rollergirls encourage everyone to come out and watch an exciting sport while supporting a great local cause.