Dat Louisiana Column

A mission to indulge that caffiene craving

Louisiana is a paradise to a coffee addict like me. Just like with our food, music and festivals, when it comes to coffee, we have our own signature style.

There are at least four local coffee companies that can out-brew Starbucks any day of the week.

Before I offend those of you who think “the bucks” is the greatest American landmark ever, I give you these four reasons for why it cannot compete with our own coffee: Cafe du Monde, Morning Call, PJ’s Coffee and CC’s Coffee House.

Café du Monde, which was established in 1862, is one of the city’s most beloved stops for tourists and locals alike to satisfy their cravings for beignets and coffee. It is best known for its traditional New Orleans spin on the café au lait, which blends the coffee and milk with chicory. In addition to all the powered sugar and caffeine goodness it offers, guests who visit the Decatur location are almost always sure to be treated to some live music and a great view of Jackson Square (that is, if you can find a seat). Café du Monde also serves the best frozen café au lait anywhere.

Morning Call is another purveyor of delicious beignets that has roots in the French Market. While this shop might have changed its location to Metairie, it has kept the traditional café feel with its many barstools and long countertops. The defining aspect of Morning Call is its service. When you go in and sit down it usually isn’t long before a waiter wearing an apron and white paper hat, with a towel slung over one arm and a tray in the other, is handing you a glass of water while you decide on your order.

Although PJ’s Coffee is a more recent addition to the New Orleans café scene, its menu feels like it has been carefully perfected over many years. The signature drinks alone are reason enough to give PJ’s a try. They are always unusual, but very good, like the frozen “hot” chocolate. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.

CC’s Coffee House is another of the newer contenders. Even though the Community Coffee Company itself has been around for close to a hundred years, its first coffee house was opened in 1995. The combination of free Wi-Fi access and great aesthetics make it an idea choice for those who want to study or get some reading done. There are always a variety of cakes, pastries and other baked goods for customers to choose from.

Hopefully, those of you who are hypnotized into thinking that Starbucks is the only option when you are looking for that first, maybe second cup of java, will reconsider. You probably only choose to go to the great “green beacon” because there is at least one on every block. I really believe that they will not be satisfied until there is a personal Starbucks barista in every home and the Statue of Liberty is replaced with another green woman.

Next time you get a craving for a cup of Joe, explore your options and you won’t be disappointed. Yeah, Louisiana knows food, music and fun, but locals know good coffee when they taste it.