Volleyball sweeps tournament

The volleyball team prepares to begin Saturdays game against Southern, which was part of the Nicholls Invitational.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman
The volleyball team prepares to begin Saturday’s game against Southern, which was part of the Nicholls Invitational.

The Nicholls volleyball team got off on the right foot in the home opener last weekend during the 2010 Nicholls Invitational presented by Thibodaux Regional Medical Center.With wins over South Alabama, Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Southern University, the Colonels extended their win streak to four games and hold a perfect record at home inside Stopher Gym.

The Colonels opened the Nicholls Invitational with a win over South Alabama. After a sluggish start in the opening set, falling 25-21, Nicholls went on to win the next three sets and pick up the victory.

“We got the win, which is important,” TeAna Tramel said. “We worked on stuff that we didn’t do well with last weekend that we did a great job with tonight.”

In addition to picking up their first home win, the Colonels also got their first chance for newcomers and returners to play on their home court for the 2010 season.

“It was a little nerve racking. I didn’t really know how to take it at first,” freshman outside hitter Lauren Chapman said. “I think all around it went well. We played well and came out with a good win.”

Nicholls went on to win their next two games without losing a set for the rest of the tournament, blanking UAPB and Southern.

“Everything we worked on in pre-season is finally coming together, which I knew it would take awhile especially with our middles,” Tramel said. “They are finally getting confidence in the setter to actually get them the ball where they need it.”

With the three victories on the weekend, the Colonels claimed the tournament championship. Sophomore middle blocker Jessica Addicks, junior libero Danielle Daigle and sophomore middle blocker Jasmine Harris were named to the All-Tournament team and Harris was named the tournament MVP.

“Jess (Jessica Addicks) and Jasmine (Harris) have really stepped it up, Jess has been on a role for two weekends now, and Jasmine has come back from last weekend and is starting to get confidence and dominate the net,” Tramel said.

The Colonels will return home again this weekend to host the 2010 Nicholls Challenge, with games against Southeastern Louisiana, Louisiana Tech and the University Houston Friday and Saturday.

“It is nice to be at home, because your fans are here, and you can say we’re good instead of saying we played well on the road, but you haven’t seen us play,” Addicks said. “It’s nice to play where everyone can watch us.