Colonel Close Up

Student sets sights on New Orleans Fire Department
Stephen Stromeyer, freshman from Metairie, poses for a photo on Facebook.

This week’s Colonel Close-Up, Stephen Stromeyer, a general studies freshman from Metairie, is also a member of the University Police. Stromeyer has been a member of the police force for a semester, and is currently working in his second.

The training for the job was minimal and, “just involved walking around with a superior,” Stromeyer said. “You just have to lean the ropes and get adjusted to everything. It’s not that hard.”

Stromeyer said the hardest part of the job was standing up all night, “but besides that it isn’t too bad.”

While some students only see the presence of University Police in the form of a ticket on their cars, they also deal with more serious situations on campus.

“The most serious action we have had to take would be an arrest that took place earlier this semester for disturbing the peace,” Stromeyer said. “We have various calls about finding alcohol in dorms, but the arrest is probably the most serious call.”

At times, the University Police have received other calls that may be considered humorous.

“University Police had to help a lady who was stuck in an elevator,” Stromeyer said. “We felt bad, but I have to admit it was pretty funny.”

While Stromeyer does not plan to pursue a career with the police force in the future, he is determined to go in a similar direction. After college, Stromeyer plans to join the New Orleans Fire Department. Currently, he volunteers at the Thibodeaux Fire Department in addition to his job on campus.

While his long-term goals involve moving to New Orleans, he is currently focusing on graduating college. In his free time, Stromeyer is usually studying or participating in some sort of fraternity related activity.

Stromeyer said his job with the University Police is a way to get money, and he is using it as a stepping-stone into the fire department. He said he looks forward to graduating and following his dream as a full-time member of the New Orleans Fire Department.