Game-winning coach motivates Nicholls

Dale Brown, former LSU men’s basketball coach, speaks at the First Pitch Celebration Saturday, Feb. 4 in the Cotillion Ballroom.

Former LSU basketball coach Dale Brown was the keynote speaker at the Sixth Annual First Pitch Banquet last Saturday night in the Bollinger Student Union Ballroom.

This event was the first chance for fans to get to meet the 2012 baseball team before the start of the regular season. Second-year head coach Seth Thibodeaux introduced this year’s squad, and former basketball coach Dale Brown served as the guest speaker for the event.

Brown, the head coach of the LSU men’s basketball team from 1972-97, led the Tigers to two Final Fours and two Elite Eight appearances in his 25 years as coach, while most recently being featured in the documentary, “Man in the Glass: The Dale Brown Story.”

Brown’s speech made key points with the audience and earned a standing ovation.

“I came to Thibodaux because I admired coach Thibodeaux’s dedication to his team,” said Brown. “This pleasant night shows me that the community really does care for this University, and that is one factor for having a successful program.”

Brown used inspirational phrases such as “the best potential of me is we,” and he focused his speech on the “little guy.” He stressed that just because Nicholls might not be the biggest school when it comes to athletics, if the players believe that they can make a difference on a big scale, then they will have a shot to compete against bigger schools like LSU.

“It was not too long ago when I sat in the Pete Maravich Center and watched little ole Nicholls State defeat a much bigger program,” Brown said. “That right there showed me that the little guy can make a difference.”

The Nicholls baseball team also defeated LSU at home a few years ago during the same year when the Tigers defeated the Texas Longhorns in the College World Series.

Brown spoke of his former players such as Shaquille O’Neal, who he coached at LSU, and mentioned how he and others still call him for advice.

“I try my best to stay in contact with former men that I have coached, and I always stress to them to stay positive and they can accomplish anything,” Brown said.

This can be attested to, as Shaq is considered by many to be the best “big man” in NBA history.

When asked how the “little guy” can make a difference in a place like Thibodaux, Brown responded, “We must be the change we wish to see. If you place it in your mind that you can do something, then you take action on it,” said Brown. “Nothing can stop the boldness of faith if you have it and if you keep that in mind anything is possible. However, if you think the opposite, you are not going anywhere.”

The banquet had the biggest attendance ever and a silent auction held during the event was able to raise money for the baseball program.

The Colonels will open the season at Southern Miss Feb. 17-20.