Colonels sign 14 players on Signing Day

Head football coach Charlie Stubbs announces the new signees for the 2012 season at a press conference held on National Signing Day.

The Nicholls State football team announced 14 student-athletes who signed their letter of intent on National Signing Day on Feb. 1.

Head coach Charlie Stubbs met with the media, players and fans who gathered in John L. Guidry Stadium’s Century Room to hear about the recruiting class.

“The great secret of success in life is for a man to be ready when his opportunity comes, and these young men chose to sign with Nicholls. We’re excited about that, and I know absolutely that they made the right choice,” Stubbs said.

Stubbs’ signing class filled every position except tight end, and he seemed excited about the newly- found depth on his football team. When Stubbs arrived at Nicholls in 2010, he had 56 players, and that’s what he had to work with his first season.

“I’m proud to say that when we go out today, we’re going to have a team of 84 kids,” Stubbs said. “We want to retain these kids. We want to have kids that we can coach and make better, not only as football players but earning their degree.”

On the defensive side of the ball, the Colonels signed three defensive lineman; Jared Breaux from Central Lafourche High School, Andrew Hebert from Catholic-New Iberia and Lorenza Young from George Bush High School in Fort Bend County, Texas.

Nicholls also added linebackers Chris Bermond from Pearl River Community College, Kameryon Brown from Southern Lab and Chris Lorden from John Curtis Christian, along with cornerback Anthony McLean from Coahoma CC to add to their defense.

Stubbs said that McLean is an excellent football player that is a lockdown corner who plays a lot harder than his 5’11 frame. When describing Lorden, Stubbs referred to former NFL coach Bill Parcells when he said if they don’t bite when they’re puppies, then they’ll never bite, and Stubbs said Lorden can definitely bite.

“I know for sure that this is the best quality we have of players. We signed 14 players, and they can play the game,” Stubbs said.

As for the offense, the Colonels signed three offensive linemen; Joe Bonner from Copiah-Lincoln CC in Wesson, Ms., Gary Bruce from South Lafourche High School and Brandon Holmes from Estacado (Texas) High School who was a 3A All-State selection twice.

Before showing clips of Holmes in high school, Stubbs had a gleam in his eye about the future Colonel.

“I want nice kids, but I need some nastiness on our team a little more, and we want our offensive linemen to be like dirtbags, right?,” Stubbs said. “They have to get in there and get after it.”

After showing the crowd that gathered in the stadium’s Century Room clips of Holmes in high school, Stubbs said with a smile on his face, “he’s voted most likely to start a fight at our first practice.”

The Colonels signed one quarterback, Christopher “Dash” Duncan from St. Michael the Archangel to go along with the class’s only running back, Michael Henry from Episcopal High School.

Stubbs said that they were looking for a big back to carry the ball in goal line situations, and Henry gives them that.

And to round off the recruiting class, the Colonels added two wide receivers with Von Breaux out of Northside High School in Lafayette and Erik Buchanan from Itawamba CC.

Buchanan was a 2-time First Team All-State wide receiver in high school and played in the Max Emfinger All-American Bowl game.

As the Colonels continue to look for their first winning season since 2007, Stubbs is excited about completing the first process with this recruiting class.

“I sat across from that table with their parents, and after looking in all 14 men’s eyes, I’m sure that they want to be great football players, and they know what it takes.”