McCain supporters win forum 203-138

Natasha Miller, biology sophomore from Houma, spoke for the pro side and shared her thoughts about democratic candidate Barrack Obama.
Photo by: Lindsay Duet

Nicholls students discussed who they believe would be a better president Tuesday at the first forum of the fall semester. The Nicholls Forum was held four days after senators John McCain and Barack Obama spoke about the economy and foreign policy at their first debate at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Miss.

The topic of the Nicholls forum was, “Resolved, that Barack Obama would be a better president of the United States than John McCain.” The con side won the forum by a vote of 203-138.

The principal speaker for the pro-Obama side of the forum, Natasha Miller, biology sophomore from Houma, said that Obama would make a better president because he will focus on providing healthcare to every American, developing clean energy programs and providing more federal government funding for education.

“Obama plans to make math and science education a priority,” Miller said. “He will reform No Child Left Behind.”

Speaking for the con side, Andrew Bergeron, freshman from Morgan City, said that McCain can fix the problems that the country currently faces, because he has proven experience.

“There are real problems affecting our country right now,” Bergeron said. “These problems must be fixed now. McCain is the total package with his military and economic experience.”

After the principal speakers for each side presented their argument, the forum was opened to comments from the audience. Students attending the forum commented on issues that have been brought up during the presidential campaign season.

Students discussed Obama’s ability to motivate citizens as well as his relationship with Jeremiah Wright, the controversial pastor of the church Obama once attended.

McCain’s imprisonment during the Vietnam War was discussed by students, as well as his tenure in the Senate, with some students portraying him as a Washington insider.

Eric-Christian Thompson, English sophomore from Jefferson, gave the closing statement for the pro side. Thompson said that Obama has been against the war from the start.

“Obama started an anti-war campaign in 2002,” Thompson said. “We went to war in 2003.”

Luke White, biology sophomore from Slidell, gave the closing statement for the con side. White said that McCain has the experience required to be president.

“Experience determines how someone will react in the future,” White said.