Parsons named new softball coach

Nicholls athletics director Rob Bernardi announced on Sept. 7 that former assistant and interim head softball coach Jenny Parsons had been promoted to head softball coach.Parsons, the Glen Burnie, Md., native who is in her third year at Nicholls, is excited about the opportunity to lead the Colonels.

“I am ecstatic about it,” Parsons said. “It’s a great opportunity. I’ve been in this system and this business a long time, and I am happy I get to start my head coaching career here.”

In a press release, Bernardi said he has confidence in Parsons and thinks she will do a great job as coach.

“I have a great deal of confidence in Jenny Parsons,” Bernardi said. “She has proven her ability to coach and recruit student-athletes. I expect that the players will respond positively to her leadership.”

After being named interim head coach since former head softball coach Phyllis Guedry resigned in July, Parsons said she felt she was the best candidate for the job.

“I felt that way, but I was just doing my job,” Parsons said. “I am glad that Mr. Bernardi thought I was doing a good enough job to be named head coach.”

Known by her players as a strict motivator, Parsons said she hopes to bring momentum to the Lady Colonels.

“I hope I bring some enthusiasm and motivation to this team,” Parsons said. “I just hope to put a great product on the field that teaches all the necessary steps of the game of softball. (I want to teach) the technique to be successful not only on the field, but in life.”

Parsons has been coaching college softball for more than 10 years. Before coming to Nicholls in 2001, Parsons worked as the pitching coach for seven years at her alma mater East Carolina University. She helped bolster one of the best pitching staffs in the Southland Conference with a 1.87 ERA.

A 1994 graduate of East Carolina in leisure system studies, Parsons played four seasons for the Lady Pirates and holds nearly all of ECU’s individual pitching records, including games pitched (157), wins (102), strikeouts (402) and shutouts (34).

Although Guedry has moved on to another career outside of coaching, Parsons said Guedry was one of her best friends and that she hopes to keep the successful foundation intact.

“Coach Guedry is one of the best friends that I have,” Parsons said. “She is an awesome person to work for. She has brought a lot to this team, not only softball-wise, but personality-wise. She was a great speaker. She is part of something here, and I plan on keeping what she started going.”

Guedry said, “Jenny is going to do a fabulous job. She is going to be able to take the program far and beyond. I applaud the University in its decision to hire her.