New ring designs unveiled for graduates

Students, faculty and alumni gathered in the Quadrangle at noon Tuesday to see the unveiling of the official Nicholls State University ring, one of the events during the University’s 60th birthday celebration. A committee of eight individuals worked together to create a ring design with symbols unique to the University that would essentially please and represent everyone.

Nicholls alumnus Roland Toupes began the tradition in 1948, the year the University was founded, when he created the first ring, an oval ruby surrounded by the words “Nicholls State College” and “1948”, as well as several other University-related symbols, including a pelican and sugarcane leaves.

Sixty years later, the University class ring continues to signify the importance for students and alumni to remember the past as they move forward to the future. The ring stands for unity among Nicholls graduates and the University and acts as a “walking diploma,” said Deborah Raziano, the director of alumni affairs.

“This ring, although new, is a great way to remember who we are and where we came from,” Raziano said. “This ring will bring back your treasured days at Nicholls. It is a bond that can never be broken.”

Undergraduate students who have earned a minimum of 75 credit hours and are in good academic standing, as well as graduate students working towards a degree, are qualified to purchase a ring.

Women can choose from the dinner, signature and lady legend ring designs, while men can choose from the traditional or legend designs.

A red gemstone with the Nicholls “N” surrounded by the name of the University tops every ring except for the dinner ring, which presents the “N” alone on a rectangular gemstone.

Students will be allowed to customize their rings with their degree letters and graduation year. The eternal flame memorial with the word “Colonels,” along with the Nicholls sword-all symbols of strength and intellectual ability-appear below the degree letters on the legend, lady legend and traditional ring designs. Elkins Hall and “1948” appear below the graduation year. Azaleas and oak leaves appear on the sides of each ring as an added touch signifying beauty and endurance.

The signature ring design includes diamonds or cubic zirconias on each side, with the degree letters, graduation date, “Colonels” and “1948” also engraved.

Provided by Balfour, the rings range in price, depending on the style and material, from $430 to $1010 – a price some students say they cannot afford.

“I like the ring a lot,” Lance Brien, physical education junior from Houma, said. “But I won’t buy one ’cause I have too many parking tickets to pay for.”

Heather Rae Hebert, business administration junior from Bourg, said she also will probably not purchase one.

“The ring is classy. My favorite art is the gemstone with the ‘N,'” she said. “But I probably won’t purchase one. I’m proud of my school, but I don’t think it is something I would wear in the long-run.”

Other students, however, feel the ring would make a worthwhile purchase.

“The ring is the epitome of the pride of Nicholls captivated in a ring,” Sierra Trosclair, education junior from Houma, said. “It is indeed a walking display of not only a diploma but your loyalty to Nicholls, which every student should possess.”

Students who wish to purchase a ring can do so today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Union.