The Americanos rocks out in Thibodaux with new sound

While walking, or stumbling, down Bourbon Street, all kinds of music can be heard blaring out of the doors. From blues to rock to rap and funk, every variety is there. However, when walking down the streets of Thibodaux, there is less diversity in the music – much less of it. A band of Nicholls students and an alumnus is trying to change that, one gig at a time.

They call themselves the Americanos; Brent Melancon, Nicholls graduate from Thibodaux; Chris Giovanni, art senior from Lockport; and Rusty Bouvier, art senior from Lockport, have brought a new sound to Thibodaux: rockabilly/surf.

Everything about the group is creative and different, including the name.

“We played our first five shows without a name,” Rusty says.

Their second choice? Uncle Larry and the Electric Weirdos.

Although they’ve only been together a short time, they have known each other for a while.

“I remember seeing Brent play at La Casa’s by himself and thinking I wanted to play by myself,” Rusty says.

Brent responds with a fake-cry: “I inspired you?”

The camaraderie they have is responsible for the band being together in the first place. In the summer of 2007, they and other friends would gather at a friend’s house in Houma – that didn’t have air conditioning – and have jam sessions where they would play almost every type of music.

Gradually, the three started playing more and making decisions about what variety of music they wanted to play. Their musical tastes ranged from Cajun to ska so there was a lot to choose from.

“I’m all about the old stuff,” Brent says. “Fats Domino.”

Other musical influences are Elvis, Little Richard and Chuck Barry. They all liked the rockabilly sound and the ability it has to blend styles.

“The way we’re doing it now,” Chris says, “it gives a taste of the surf and the South.”

True to their Louisiana roots, they are energized by the audience. They sometimes have other musicians sit in for jam sessions.

In addition to playing local clubs like The Library, the Americanos have played in Baton Rouge Thil Brady’s Blues Club, one of the oldest blues clubs in Baton Rouge.

“Even when there’s not a large crowd we still have fun,” Rusty says.

Their audience enjoys them just as much.

“It’s refreshing to hear something new and different in Thibodaux,” Scott Phipps, history and social sciences instructor, says.

So new and different fans have come up with original ways to describe their sound.

“They’re music is like Outcast’s Southernplayalisticaddillac – but not,” Marnie Chiasson, English senior from Thibodaux, says.

The band’s myspace.com page offers a more concrete way to plug into the Americano’s surf-like vibe. With recordings of several cover songs including songs by Chuck Barry, the Surfaris and others, it also gives information on the band’s upcoming shows and other events. They plan on recording original music soon.

Their next few shows will be Oct. 7 and 14 at The Library and at downtown Thibodaux’s Art Walk, Oct. 17.