Nightmare comes to Colonel Country

Students are preparing to celebrate Homecoming 2008 with a week full of festivities centered on a Halloween-based theme of “Nightmare in Colonel Country.” The student homecoming committee has been planning the University’s annual Homecoming Week since May. Committee chair Jennifer Smith said the committee members sought to incorporate as many groups as possible both on and off campus.

“Homecoming is normally geared toward the Greeks,” Smith said. “But we wanted to start gearing Homecoming to incorporate more community involvement and more involvement of the entire school.”

The week kicks off Sunday at 2 p.m. with Paint the Campus and Town Red. The University and business communities are encouraged to show support for the Colonels by painting windows and doors red and displaying “Geaux Colonels” signs.

The celebration continues Tuesday with a pep rally, sponsored by Student Programming Association, Student Government Association, the Pride of Nicholls Marching Band and the Nicholls cheerleaders. The event will take place at noon in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union, and the Homecoming Court will be introduced.

The maids include Melissa Chabert, nominated by Circle K; Marquita Christy, nominated by National Pan-Hellenic Council; Meagan Hebert nominated by La Pirogue; Marquita Hill, nominated by Residence Life; Brittany Ohlin nominated by Nicholls cheerleading; Sara Taylor nominated by Student Government Association; and Anna Waguespack, nominated by Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

The escorts include Richard Abarr, nominated by Nicholls cheerleading; Cody Blanchard nominated by La Pirogue; Dexter Paul Charles, nominated by Nicholls Student Athletic Training Society; Ryan Donegan, nominated by Student Government Association; Phil Dupre, nominated by Sigma Alpha Epsilon; Ugochukwu Ezema nominated by National Pan-Hellenic Council; and Lardarius Webb, nominated by Delta Sigma Theta.

Festivities continue Wednesday at 2 p.m. with an SPA-sponsored pirogue race on the bayouside.

The “Nightmare in Colonel Country” parade will take place at 5 p.m. Thursday. The parade will begin at John L. Guidry Stadium and travel down Audubon Street, Menard Street, St. Charles Street, Seventh Avenue, Bayou Lane and back down Menard and Audubon streets, ending back at John L. Guidry Stadium. The NAACP will end the night with a party in the Student Union Ballroom at 10 p.m.

Friday’s festivities begin at 8 a.m. with the Homecoming Golf Tournament, including 18 holes of golf, hosted by the Bayou Country Club. A family “Trick or Treating” party, sponsored by Greek Life, will take place in the Quad from 5-8 p.m.

The College of Business Administration will host the Alumni Association Homecoming Social in the Ponder Room and Courtyard on campus from 9-11 a.m. Saturday.

The Homecoming Brunch and Reception will immediately follow on the west side of the Guidry Stadium parking lot. The event will honor the class of 1958 and include the presentation of the golf tournament awards, the introduction of the homecoming court and the announcing of the “Outstanding Alumnus/Alumna” for each college. The reception will also include a pep rally sponsored by the Nicholls band and cheerleaders.

The Colonels football team will play the University of Central Arkansas Bears in John L. Guidry Stadium at 1 p.m.