Nightmare-themed Homecoming Week ends with big events

With Homecoming Week in full swing, the University community is preparing for the final days of festivities centered on a Halloween-based theme of “Nightmare in Colonel Country.” Thursday’s activities will begin with the “Nightmare in Colonel Country” parade at 5 p.m., which begins and ends at John L. Guidry Stadium.

“We really want to encourage people to come out and participate in the parade,” Deborah Raziano, director of alumni affairs, said. “Whether as an actual participant or a spectator.”

Student organizations make up the bulk of the parade participants. Organization members can ride on floats they created or walk along the route.

The Homecoming court will ride on dune buggies, escorted by Shriners from the Lafourche Parish Shriners Club, Raziano said.

This year’s Homecoming grand marshal is Barry Landry, a general surgical practitioner and 1977 Nicholls alumnus.

Landry won this year’s James Lynn Powell Award, the most prestigious honor given to a Nicholls graduate. As grand marshal, he will attend the Homecoming brunch and take part in the coin toss on the field before Saturday’s game, Raziano said.

The NAACP party will end Thursday night in the Student Union Ballroom at 10 p.m.

Friday’s festivities begin at 8 a.m. with the Homecoming golf tournament hosted by Bayou Country Club.

The tournament will include a shotgun start, 18 holes of golf and a four-person scramble.

Greek Life will host a “Trick or Treating” party in the Quad from 5-8 p.m. Student organizations will work booths where students, their families and local children can play games and win prizes and candy.

“We wanted to do something to try to get the community involved,” Jennifer Smith, Homecoming student committee chair, said. “With trick or treating, there’s not a lot of safe neighborhoods. This is good, wholesome, safe fun.”

The College of Business Administration will kick off Saturday’s events with the Alumni Association Homecoming social in the Ponder Room and Powell-White Courtyard at 9 a.m.

The Homecoming brunch and reception will immediately follow at 11 a.m.

Both events have historically taken place in the Quad but will be held on the west side of the Guidry Stadium parking lot for the guests’ convenience, Raziano said.

The reception will include the presentation of the golf tournament awards, the introduction of the Homecoming court, the announcing of the “Outstanding Alumnus/Alumna” for each college and a pep rally sponsored by the Nicholls band and cheerleaders. It will honor the class of 1958, the first class to receive a baccalaureate degree from the University.

The Colonels football team will compete against the University of Central Arkansas Bears in John L. Guidry Stadium at 1 p.m. Damaged stadium lights are putting a hold on night games, making this week’s game the first daytime Homecoming game in University history, Raziano said.

While students celebrate the game and Homecoming activities, they should keep in mind that the University of Central Arkansas lost two students in a campus shooting Sunday, Raziano said.

“Although there are festivities and excitement in the air, there is also a feeling of sadness,” Raziano said. “It’s going to be tough for their team and fans but as a University community, we’re hoping to embrace them because it could happen here.