Nicholls to adopt new veterans program

Nicholls is taking on a new program that will offer support to students at war and students who return to school from war.College campuses across America are supporting this program and Nicholls is hoping to become a part of it. On other campuses, this program is called Veterans for Veterans. Eugene Dial, vice president for student affairs, sent out an E-mail to faculty and staff informing them of this idea and said he has gotten a good response so far.

Starting Veterans for Veterans was actually Wanda Porche’s, University veteran’s liaison counselor, idea. “She sent me an E-mail about it and I thought it was a good idea,” Dial said.

Veterans for Veterans offers support groups, mentors, academic activities, social activities, tutoring and counseling from veterans to those students who are new veterans. According to Porche, there are 50 to 55 veterans registered here at Nicholls this semester.

According to MentorsforVeterans.org, adjusting to campus and civilian life after returning from the military or war can be difficult. Some veterans get discouraged when returning to civilian life because of the differences they feel they have compared to the conventional student. Veterans for Veterans will try to make the adjustment easier.

“[We want to] try to increase the likelihood that veterans stay in school,” Dial said.

Faculty and staff are not the only ones invited to be involved with assisting student veterans. Students are also encouraged to help their veteran peers with adjusting to civilian and college life. Dial will be sending out an E-mail to students and will be holding a meeting the second week of school to discuss this new program. Anyone interested in taking part in this program should contact the Office of Student Affairs at 448-4021.

Dial said that specific activities are not known at this time because it is up to those who are in charge of the group to come up with activities that they think will benefit the veterans. On other campuses, student veterans are part of study groups and encouraged to participate in intramural athletic events and help out with charitable organizations like Habitat for Humanity.

Dial is unsure of when Veterans for Veterans will begin, but hopes that it will start soon. The person who will be in charge has not been decided, but Dial said it should be someone who is a veteran or has had experience with veterans.

Michele Caruso, dean of student services, said that there are no specific counseling services available for those dealing with the war or any other things going on in the country at this time, but regular counseling services are open to everyone. Veterans for Veterans will offer counseling services specifically for those coping with the effects of the war.

“I guess [the program] would be okay because we don’t have a program like that,” D’Anna Reeves, freshman from Lufkin, Texas, said. “I think that whoever is involved will really have to work hard for their efforts to be shown.